all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* emacs compiled with --with-ns doesn't find installed libraries
@ 2012-07-14 22:23 Dan Maftei
From: Dan Maftei @ 2012-07-14 22:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I compile GNU emacs 24.1.1 for X and it finds most of my installed image
libraries (png, gif, jpeg), at /usr/local.

If I compile with --with-ns, it does not find any of them. However, I can
nevertheless view, e.g., .png files in emacs.app. Should I be worried that
the configure script says it couldn't find these libraries?

If it matters, all the libraries I've mentioned were installed using
homebrew, and thus all headers and lib files and executables are symlinks
to /usr/local/Cellar/<library-name>

Another oddity is that neither configure script finds my dbus installation,
which is at /usr/local like all my image libraries. When I was using
macports, dbus was found. Has anyone experienced this, or know how I can
get the configure script to locate dbus?

Thanks
Dan

* Re: emacs compiled with --with-ns doesn't find installed libraries
@ 2012-07-15  0:23 ` Alp Aker
From: Alp Aker @ 2012-07-15  0:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan Maftei; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> I compile GNU emacs 24.1.1 for X and it finds most of my installed image
> libraries (png, gif, jpeg), at /usr/local.
>
> If I compile with --with-ns, it does not find any of them. However, I can
> nevertheless view, e.g., .png files in emacs.app. Should I be worried that
> the configure script says it couldn't find these libraries?

The NS port uses the Cocoa framework for image support; it doesn't
need the image libraries you have in /usr/local.

> Another oddity is that neither configure script finds my dbus installation,
> which is at /usr/local like all my image libraries. When I was using
> macports, dbus was found. Has anyone experienced this, or know how I can get
> the configure script to locate dbus?

You can tell the configure script where to look for libraries (and
header files, etc.) by setting the appropriate environment variable
when you run it.  See 'configure --help' for details.  (As for why the
macports build found dbus: it might have installed a version of dbus
in /opt/local/include and used that.)

* Re: emacs compiled with --with-ns doesn't find installed libraries
@ 2012-07-15  0:27   ` Alp Aker
From: Alp Aker @ 2012-07-15  0:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan Maftei; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Sat, Jul 14, 2012 at 8:23 PM, Alp Aker <alptekin.aker@gmail.com> wrote:

> The NS port uses the Cocoa framework for image support; it doesn't
> need the image libraries you have in /usr/local.

Slight correction:  svg image support is an exception.  The NS port
needs librsvg for that.

* Re: emacs compiled with --with-ns doesn't find installed libraries
@ 2012-07-15 12:02     ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2012-07-15 12:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alp Aker; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 15.07.2012 um 02:27 schrieb Alp Aker:

> On Sat, Jul 14, 2012 at 8:23 PM, Alp Aker <alptekin.aker@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> The NS port uses the Cocoa framework for image support; it doesn't
>> need the image libraries you have in /usr/local.
>
> Slight correction:  svg image support is an exception.  The NS port
> needs librsvg for that.

Although the WebKit has SVG support – Safari can display SVG images!

--
Greetings

  Pete

"Evolution"            o           __o                     _o _