all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Package installation broken in all repos with package unavailable
@ 2021-06-10  0:23 Pablo Wolter
From: Pablo Wolter @ 2021-06-10  0:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

I am having issues trying out Emacs. Specifically installing packages. For
some reason looks like ALL the packages in all the sources are unavailable.

(setq package-archives '(("ELPA" . "http://tromey.com/elpa/")
                          ("gnu" . "http://elpa.gnu.org/packages/")
                          ("melpa" . "http://melpa.milkbox.net/packages/"))
t)

I have searched around and the suggestions are to do M-x
package-list-packages and package-refresh-contents (that tries to download
a package list from all repos added, to paraphrase a stack overflow post)
aren't helping at all.

Initially, I thought this may be a restriction on my company's laptop, but
this also happens on my home laptop (both Macbook pros with GNU Emacs
installed).

Any suggestion? This, of course, results in Emacs being completely useless
to me as I can't configure it and install packages I want to test. Any
help, point, tip will be greatly appreciated.

Pablo.

*Saludos,*

*Pablo Wolterpwolter@gmail.com <pwolter@gmail.com>*

* Re: Package installation broken in all repos with package unavailable
@ 2021-06-10  0:34 ` Jude DaShiell
From: Jude DaShiell @ 2021-06-10  0:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pablo Wolter, help-gnu-emacs

have you got:
(setq gnutls-algorithm-priority "NORMAL:-VERS-TLS1.3")
in your .emacs yet?

@ 2021-06-10  8:13 ` jakub-w
From: jakub-w @ 2021-06-10  8:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pablo Wolter; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> (setq package-archives '(("ELPA" . "http://tromey.com/elpa/")
>                           ("gnu" . "http://elpa.gnu.org/packages/")
>                           ("melpa" . "http://melpa.milkbox.net/packages/"))
> t)

MELPA's address is "https://melpa.org/packages/" now and, if i'm not
mistaken, GNU ELPA requires https to be used (at least that's the
default with an empty init file).

* Re: Package installation broken in all repos with package unavailable
@ 2021-06-10 10:03 ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2021-06-10 10:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pablo Wolter; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Pablo Wolter <pwolter@gmail.com> writes:

Hi Pablo,

> I am having issues trying out Emacs. Specifically installing
> packages. For some reason looks like ALL the packages in all the
> sources are unavailable.
>
> (setq package-archives '(("ELPA" . "http://tromey.com/elpa/")
>                           ("gnu" . "http://elpa.gnu.org/packages/")
>                           ("melpa" . "http://melpa.milkbox.net/packages/"))
> t)

Is that `t' a copy&past-error?  With it, you'll get an
`wrong-number-of-arguments' error because `setq' wants an even number of
arguments.

Bye,
Tassilo

* Re: Package installation broken in all repos with package unavailable
@ 2021-06-10 13:57   ` Stefan Monnier via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Stefan Monnier via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2021-06-10 13:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

>> (setq package-archives '(("ELPA" . "http://tromey.com/elpa/")
>>                           ("gnu" . "http://elpa.gnu.org/packages/")
>>                           ("melpa" . "http://melpa.milkbox.net/packages/"))
>> t)
>
> MELPA's address is "https://melpa.org/packages/" now and, if i'm not
> mistaken,

And Tom Tromey's archive is not in use any more.

> GNU ELPA requires https to be used (at least that's the
> default with an empty init file).

No, the `http` address is fine (and shouldn't suffer from the TLS
version problems alluded to by someone else).

OTOH, the above setting overrides the default, so it hides the new
NonGNU archive that is enabled by default in Emacs-28.

IOW either don't change `package-archives` at all, or use something like:

    (add-to-list 'package-archives '("melpa" . "https://melpa.org/packages/"))

which will still give you the "gnu" archive, since it's enabled there by default.

-- Stefan

* Re: Package installation broken in all repos with package unavailable
@ 2021-06-10 16:50     ` Pablo Wolter
From: Pablo Wolter @ 2021-06-10 16:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

I am having the same results with  (add-to-list 'package-archives '("melpa"
. "https://melpa.org/packages/"))

So I don't know what is wrong ... if I remove it completely how I should do
it?

Thsi is the reevant part of my .emacs.d/init.el:

;; .emacs.d/init.el
;; Enables basic packaging support

(require 'package)

;; Adds the Melpa archive to the list of available repositories
(add-to-list 'package-archives '(
             ("melpa" . "http://melpa.milkbox.net/packages/")
             ("org" . "http://orgmode.org/elpa/")
             ("elpa" . "http://elpa.gnu.org/packages/")))

;; Initializes the package infrastructure
(package-initialize)

;; If there are no archived package contents, refresh them
(when (not package-archive-contents)
  (package-refresh-contents))

(package-refresh-contents)

;; Installs packages
;; myPackages contains a list of package names
(defvar myPackages
  '(
    tron-legacy-theme               ;; Tron legacy theme
    elpy                            ;; Emacs List Python Environment
    flycheck                        ;; On the fly sintax check
    blacken                         ;; Black formatting on save
    ein                             ;; Emacs IPython Notebook
    magit                           ;; Git integration
    markdown-mode                   ;; Markdown mode suport
    better-defaults                 ;; Set up some better Emacs defaults
    counsel                         ;; Ivy, swiper and counsel
    doom-modeline                   ;; Doom modeline-mode
    which-key                       ;; Options for keys
   ;; The following packages are now failing to install, the ones above
this line installed ok some days ago
    rainbow-delimiters              ;; Rainbow delimiters
    ivy-rich                        ;; Ivy rich
    helpful                         ;; Helpful (?)
    projectile                      ;; project managment
    )
)

;; Scans the list in myPackages
;; If the package listed is not already installed, install it
(mapc #'(lambda (package)
          (unless (package-installed-p package)
            (package-install package)))
      myPackages)

*Saludos,*

*Pablo Wolterpwolter@gmail.com <pwolter@gmail.com>*

@ 2021-06-10 20:43       ` Pablo Wolter
From: Pablo Wolter @ 2021-06-10 20:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

I have refactored my confit file using (use package <package> blah blah ...
) and it is working now, except some packages that it couldn't find (themes
that I installed manually (?) maybe).

Thanks!
Pablo.