Turns out that the patch was simple enough. Only 3 lines of code in ido.el needed to change. Now to figure out how to submit a patch :'( -Steven On Thu, Apr 4, 2013 at 11:00 AM, Stefan Monnier wrote: > >> >> it might be interesting to change icomplete.el such that it can > >> >> display the completions using a tooltip frame > [...] > > These ideas seem like overkill. > > I didn't mean it as "the solution to your local problem". > > I just think it's a good idea in itself, and your request reminded me of > it. Such a "completion list in a frame/box" is already implemented in > a few different ways for auto-complete/company-mode. > > > The current technique ido-mode uses is great, > > Agreed, it's very lightweight yet effective. And the trick you use to > display it "one per line" is neat and works surprisingly well (I was > afraid it would cause the text to jump around too much). I'd welcome > a patch that makes it work for icomplete-mode as well. > > > Stefan > > >