This is my favorite solution so far. The only problem with it is that it doesn't play nicely with hl-line-mode, so when my current line has a special background, highlight-symbol's background is overridden. This wasn't the case with isearch-mode. Do you think this would be hard to fix? -Steven On Thu, Apr 11, 2013 at 2:35 AM, Le Wang wrote: > I use highlight symbols to highlight same symbols, and jump between them. > It chooses rainbow colors automatically and makes it much easier to follow > some key variables through a block of code. > > My fork https://github.com/lewang/highlight-symbol.el allows you to use > arbitrary region as a "symbol". > > > On Thu, Apr 11, 2013 at 10:24 AM, Steven Degutis wrote: > >> Often times I find that I want to jump to another occurrence of the >> word-under-point, almost always variables or functions. I end up going to >> the beginning of the word with M-b, doing isearch-forward with C-s, adding >> all the words until the full word is the search term with C-w a bunch of >> times, and finally C-s to jump around to other instances of it. >> >> Is there a better way to do this? >> >> -Steven >> > > > > -- > Le >