all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Is there an easier way to jump to the same word?
@ 2013-04-11  2:24 Steven Degutis
From: Steven Degutis @ 2013-04-11  2:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

Often times I find that I want to jump to another occurrence of the
word-under-point, almost always variables or functions. I end up going to
the beginning of the word with M-b, doing isearch-forward with C-s, adding
all the words until the full word is the search term with C-w a bunch of
times, and finally C-s to jump around to other instances of it.

Is there a better way to do this?

-Steven

* Re: Is there an easier way to jump to the same word?
@ 2013-04-11  7:11 ` Andreas Röhler
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Andreas Röhler @ 2013-04-11  7:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Am 11.04.2013 04:24, schrieb Steven Degutis:
> Often times I find that I want to jump to another occurrence of the
> word-under-point, almost always variables or functions. I end up going to
> the beginning of the word with M-b, doing isearch-forward with C-s, adding
> all the words until the full word is the search term with C-w a bunch of
> times, and finally C-s to jump around to other instances of it.
>
> Is there a better way to do this?
>
> -Steven

Made a ar-name-atpt for this, which picks just the identifiers.
Behind identifiers is a

defcustom ar-name-chars-atpt "a-zA-Z_;-"

Once in kill-ring, start search C-s and yank it back  for search M-y

Source:

thing-at-point-utils.el
https://launchpad.net/s-x-emacs-werkstatt/trunk/1.3/+download/S-X-Emacs-Werkstatt-1.3.tar.gz

* Re: Is there an easier way to jump to the same word?
@ 2013-04-11  7:35 ` Le Wang
From: Le Wang @ 2013-04-11  7:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steven Degutis; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

I use highlight symbols to highlight same symbols, and jump between them.
 It chooses rainbow colors automatically and makes it much easier to follow
some key variables through a block of code.

My fork https://github.com/lewang/highlight-symbol.el allows you to use
arbitrary region as a "symbol".

--
Le

* Re: Is there an easier way to jump to the same word?
       [not found] <mailman.23929.1365647063.855.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2013-04-11  7:43 ` Chris F.A. Johnson
From: Chris F.A. Johnson @ 2013-04-11  7:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 2013-04-11, Steven Degutis wrote:
> --047d7b67031bbb272504da0c7ba5
>
> Often times I find that I want to jump to another occurrence of the
> word-under-point, almost always variables or functions. I end up going to
> the beginning of the word with M-b, doing isearch-forward with C-s, adding
> all the words until the full word is the search term with C-w a bunch of
> times, and finally C-s to jump around to other instances of it.
>
> Is there a better way to do this?

   This is what I use:

(defun current-word-search ()
    "search forward for word under cursor"
    (interactive)
    (word-search-forward (current-word)))

--
   Chris F.A. Johnson                          <http://cfajohnson.com>
   Author:                                     =======================

* Re: Is there an easier way to jump to the same word?
@ 2013-04-11  7:57   ` Damien Wyart
From: Damien Wyart @ 2013-04-11  7:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

* "Chris F.A. Johnson" <cfajohnson@gmail.com> in gnu.emacs.help:
>    This is what I use:
> (defun current-word-search ()
>     "search forward for word under cursor"
>     (interactive)
>     (word-search-forward (current-word)))

I was about to point OP to highlight-symbol.el, but your solution seems
simple and elegant.

A few links anyway:

http://emacswiki.org/emacs/SearchAtPoint
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/10373118/vim-like-next-previous-word-at-point-in-emacs
http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/HighlightSymbol
http://nschum.de/src/emacs/highlight-symbol/
https://github.com/nschum/highlight-symbol.el

--
DW

* Re: Is there an easier way to jump to the same word?
@ 2013-04-11  8:04 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2013-04-11  8:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steven Degutis; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

Hi Steven,

Steven Degutis <sbdegutis@gmail.com> writes:

> Is there a better way to do this?

I use this:

(defun next-word-at-point (previous)
  "Jump to the next occurrence of the word at point."
  (interactive "P")
  (let* ((w (thing-at-point 'word))
	 (w (mapconcat
	     (lambda(c) (if (eq (char-syntax c) ?w)
			    (char-to-string c))) w ""))
	 (wre (concat "\\<" w "\\>"))
	 (s (if previous #'re-search-backward #'re-search-forward)))
    (unless previous (forward-word 1))
    (funcall s wre nil t)
    (unless previous (re-search-backward wre nil t))))

(defun previous-word-at-point ()
  "Jump to the previous occurrence of the word at point."
  (interactive)
  (next-word-at-point t))

(define-key global-map "\M-n" 'next-word-at-point)
(define-key global-map "\M-p" 'previous-word-at-point)

--
 Bastien

* Re: Is there an easier way to jump to the same word?
@ 2013-04-11  8:22   ` Chris F.A. Johnson
From: Chris F.A. Johnson @ 2013-04-11  8:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 2013-04-11, Chris F.A. Johnson wrote:
> On 2013-04-11, Steven Degutis wrote:
>> --047d7b67031bbb272504da0c7ba5
>>
>> Often times I find that I want to jump to another occurrence of the
>> word-under-point, almost always variables or functions. I end up going to
>> the beginning of the word with M-b, doing isearch-forward with C-s, adding
>> all the words until the full word is the search term with C-w a bunch of
>> times, and finally C-s to jump around to other instances of it.
>>
>> Is there a better way to do this?
>
>    This is what I use:
>
> (defun current-word-search ()
>     "search forward for word under cursor"
>     (interactive)
>     (word-search-forward (current-word)))

  And to search backwards:

(defun current-word-reverse-search ()
    "search backwards for word under cursor"
    (interactive)
    (word-search-backward (current-word)))

  And, of course, they are bound to keys:

(global-set-key (kbd "s-s") 'current-word-search)
(global-set-key (kbd "s-r") 'current-word-reverse-search)

--
   Chris F.A. Johnson                          <http://cfajohnson.com>
   Author:                                     =======================

* Re: Is there an easier way to jump to the same word?
@ 2013-04-11 13:39   ` Jambunathan K
From: Jambunathan K @ 2013-04-11 13:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Le Wang; +Cc: Steven Degutis, help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

Le Wang <l26wang@gmail.com> writes:

> I use highlight symbols to highlight same symbols, and jump between
> them. It chooses rainbow colors automatically and makes it much easier
> to follow some key variables through a block of code.
>
> My fork https://github.com/lewang/highlight-symbol.el allows you to
> use arbitrary region as a "symbol".

If you are using Emacs from Bzr, then `highlight-symbol' is no longer
needed.

C-h v hi-lock-auto-select-face
C-h v hi-lock-read-regexp-defaults-function

You may want to file a bug report if some feature is missing.

* Re: Is there an easier way to jump to the same word?
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2013-04-11 13:42 ` Jambunathan K
From: Jambunathan K @ 2013-04-11 13:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steven Degutis; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

Steven Degutis <sbdegutis@gmail.com> writes:

> Often times I find that I want to jump to another occurrence of the
> word-under-point, almost always variables or functions. I end up going
> to the beginning of the word with M-b, doing isearch-forward with C-s,
> adding all the words until the full word is the search term with C-w a
> bunch of times, and finally C-s to jump around to other instances of
> it.

If you are using Emacs from bzr, configure the variable below to run
occur for symbol at point.

        C-h v occur-read-regexp-defaults-function

Then jump around with

M-s o
M-g M-n
M-g M-n
M-g M-p

or look at occur before and jump directly to the needed location.

@ 2013-04-11 14:05     ` Steven Degutis
       [not found]       ` <878v4omosz.fsf@casenave-pere.fr>
From: Steven Degutis @ 2013-04-11 14:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cfajohnson; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

This was the simplest and most elegant. But I didn't realize until after I
tried it that I heavily rely on the highlighting that isearch-mode uses.

-Steven

@ 2013-04-11 14:06   ` Steven Degutis
From: Steven Degutis @ 2013-04-11 14:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Le Wang; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

This is my favorite solution so far. The only problem with it is that it
doesn't play nicely with hl-line-mode, so when my current line has a
special background, highlight-symbol's background is overridden. This
wasn't the case with isearch-mode. Do you think this would be hard to fix?

-Steven

@ 2013-04-11 14:08   ` Steven Degutis
From: Steven Degutis @ 2013-04-11 14:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jambunathan K; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

First of all those keys are stolen by paredit.

Second of all the UI for this seems like overkill compared to
highlight-symbol.el. It doesn't need its own window, it just should
highlight matches in the current window and allow me to jump between them
easily. But knowing emacs, there's probably some variable to disable
opening a new window with the search results.

And finally, it doesn't seem to highlight the matches in the buffer.

-Steven

@ 2013-04-11 14:09     ` Steven Degutis
From: Steven Degutis @ 2013-04-11 14:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jambunathan K; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

I am using trunk, but these variables don't exist.

ELISP> (emacs-version)
"GNU Emacs 24.3.50.1 (i386-apple-darwin12.3.0, NS apple-appkit-1187.37)\n
of 2013-04-10 on Stevens-Mac-Pro.local"

-Steven

@ 2013-04-11 14:13   ` Steven Degutis
From: Steven Degutis @ 2013-04-11 14:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

Are these functions defining word boundaries? What are the \\< and \\> used
for? Using (current-word) should probably be sufficient, no?

Also, I didn't realize this until after I tried Chris's solution, but I
also need it to highlight other occurrences of (current-word) in the buffer.

-Steven

@ 2013-04-11 17:06     ` Jambunathan K
From: Jambunathan K @ 2013-04-11 17:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steven Degutis; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

If you don't find

        `hi-lock-read-regexp-defaults-function'
        `occur-read-regexp-defaults-function'
        `find-tag-default-as-regexp'

then your bzr version in not the most recent one.  Try upgrading.  Here
is some customization that I have in .emacs.

(setq hi-lock-read-regexp-defaults-function 'find-tag-default-as-regexp)
(setq occur-read-regexp-defaults-function 'find-tag-default-as-regexp)

(add-hook 'occur-hook (lambda nil (next-error)
			(delete-other-windows)))

(add-hook 'occur-mode-find-occurrence-hook
	  (lambda nil (highlight-regexp (find-tag-default-as-regexp))))

@ 2013-04-12  5:50         ` Renaud Casenave-Péré
From: Renaud Casenave-Péré @ 2013-04-12  5:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

On Fri, Apr 12 2013, Renaud Casenave-Péré wrote:

> You may find this solution a bit overkill, but if you install evil, you can use
> something like this :
>
> (global-set-key (kbd "C-*") #'(lambda ()
>                                 (interactive)
>                                 (evil-search-symbol t))) ;; search forward
>
> (global-set-key (kbd "C-#") #'(lambda ()
>                                 (interactive)
>                                 (evil-search-symbol nil))) ;; search backward
>
> which does what you want and should work even if you don't use evil at all as
> long as you do (require 'evil-search).

Another (beggining of a) solution. With something like this :

(defun isearch-yank-word-at-point ()
  "Pull the word at point into search string."
  (interactive)
  (goto-char (beginning-of-thing 'word))
  (isearch-yank-internal
   #'(lambda ()
       (end-of-thing 'word))))

(define-key isearch-mode-map (kbd "C-*") 'isearch-yank-word-at-point)

In combination with `isearch-forward-word', you can jump to the next iteration
of the word you are on, using only isearch and thing-at-point facilities.

--
Renaud Casenave-Pere

* Re: Is there an easier way to jump to the same word?
@ 2013-04-13  0:19     ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2013-04-13  0:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steven Degutis; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

Hi Steven,

Steven Degutis <sbdegutis@gmail.com> writes:

> Are these functions defining word boundaries? What are the \\< and \
> \> used for? Using (current-word) should probably be sufficient, no?

(current-word t t) would better suits my own needs actually.

> Also, I didn't realize this until after I tried Chris's solution, but
> I also need it to highlight other occurrences of (current-word) in
> the buffer.

In that case, I think your first recipe (C-s C-w C-s) is the shortest
solution.

HTH,

--
 Bastien

* Re: Is there an easier way to jump to the same word?
@ 2013-04-13  0:22       ` Steven Degutis
From: Steven Degutis @ 2013-04-13  0:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org