all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Can't insert curly brace for string interpolation in ruby-mode
@ 2013-04-05 21:19 Andrew Pennebaker
From: Andrew Pennebaker @ 2013-04-05 21:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs Help

Ruby uses the syntax "... #{expression}..." for string interpolation. But
when I press left curly brace, Emacs says "Symbol's value as variable is
void: last-command-char".

I C-h k {, and saw that { and } are bound to ruby-electric-brace. This
function appears to be malfunctioning.

As a workaround, I M-x fundamental-mode, typed a literal { and }, then M-x
ruby-mode. Doing this repeatedly became a hassle, so I added a temporary
hook to my .emacs:

(add-hook 'ruby-mode-hook
          (lambda ()
            (define-key ruby-mode-map "{" nil)
            (define-key ruby-mode-map "}" nil)))

Could someone take a look at ruby-electric-brace to determine the exact
issue?

--
Cheers,

Andrew Pennebaker
www.yellosoft.us

* Re: Can't insert curly brace for string interpolation in ruby-mode
@ 2013-04-05 23:52 ` Bob Proulx
From: Bob Proulx @ 2013-04-05 23:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Andrew Pennebaker wrote:
> Ruby uses the syntax "... #{expression}..." for string interpolation. But
> when I press left curly brace, Emacs says "Symbol's value as variable is
> void: last-command-char".

This works fine for me in emacs 24.2.1.  And with 23.4.1 too.  What
version are you using?

> I C-h k {, and saw that { and } are bound to ruby-electric-brace.

Same here.

> This function appears to be malfunctioning.

You didn't say so the obligatory response is, "Have you tried it with -Q?"

  emacs -Q

Works for me.

Bob

* Re: Can't insert curly brace for string interpolation in ruby-mode
@ 2013-04-06  0:43   ` Andrew Pennebaker
From: Andrew Pennebaker @ 2013-04-06  0:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs Help

Good idea!

Unfortunately I haven't been able to emacs -Q in Mac due to my poor setup.
I can't even pass the option!

Could someone suggest a better way to do this?

$ which emacs
/usr/bin/emacs

$ cat `which emacs`
#!/bin/sh
open -a /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/MacOS/Emacs "$@"

My goal is to be able to launch "emacs <dir/file>" from Terminal.app, such
that Emacs doesn't steal control over the terminal while it runs.
Ordinarly, one would use "emacs <dir/file> &", but I like to close the
terminal, and I don't want Emacs to die with it. So I use "open -a..."

The problem with this arrangement is that this doesn't allow command line
options to be sent to Emacs. "open" provides --args, but I haven't been
able to use it properly.

--

@ 2013-04-06  1:07     ` Steven Degutis
       [not found]       ` <CAHXt_SU-huJs5QVe39OBspA5_YVwSanKu3U_KWBrcDhfawBf3Q@mail.gmail.com>
From: Steven Degutis @ 2013-04-06  1:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Pennebaker; +Cc: Emacs Help

First of all I highly recommend installing Cocoa Emacs from homebrew. Look
here for how to install it properly:
https://github.com/sdegutis/using-emacs#installing-emacs-properly

Secondly, you pass args to open via --args (look at `man open`). So it
would be `open -a emacs --args -Q` if you want to launch Cocoa Emacs with -Q

-Steven

@ 2013-04-06  1:45         ` Steven Degutis
       [not found]           ` <CAHXt_SUwwaTuj8=QL+AMvqvpAM2jELogUtbDxNPJQug6mCU0cQ@mail.gmail.com>
From: Steven Degutis @ 2013-04-06  1:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Pennebaker; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

No, `open` works fine for this. Look again at the man page. It doesn't
expect a binary like you were passing it (Contents/MacOS/Emacs). Instead
you just pass it the name of an app bundle. The command I sent to you in
the last email works perfectly.

-Steven

On Fri, Apr 5, 2013 at 8:42 PM, Andrew Pennebaker <

       [not found]             ` <CAHXt_SXwGNQKzRu-LBBvg2xNruBhyEnMKFMspDwVqdk4zL_RFg@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2013-04-06  3:15               ` Steven Degutis
From: Steven Degutis @ 2013-04-06  3:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Pennebaker, help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

(1) Yes, that's true. That's a limitation of emacs, not the open command.
Do `emacs --help`
(2) Please do reply-all instead of just replying to me, so more people have
an opportunity to answer you.
(3) None of this is related to curly braces in ruby-mode, i.e. the topic of
this thread. Let's stay on topic.

-Steven

On Fri, Apr 5, 2013 at 10:12 PM, Andrew Pennebaker <

@ 2013-04-06  3:21                 ` Bob Proulx
From: Bob Proulx @ 2013-04-06  3:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Pennebaker, help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

Steven Degutis wrote:
> Andrew Pennebaker wrote:
> > When I try open -a emacs --args ${1+"$@"}, I have to choose either open a
> > file, or provide a command line argument. I can't do both.
>
> (1) Yes, that's true. That's a limitation of emacs, not the open command.
> Do `emacs --help`

You should be able to do 'emacs -Q filename.rb' however.

I see you using the old idiom ${1+"$@"}.  That is fine.  That will
work everywhere.  But unless you are working on Solaris then that
idiom can be shorted to simply "$@" without checking $1 first.  All
modern shells treat "$@" correctly now and it is required by POSIX.

You have been focusing on trying to get the "open" to work.  But you
could just for the experiment try emacs in a terminal window and get
the test done.

  emacs -nw -Q

Just ignore the who "open" problem for the moment and just test
whether -Q causes your curly brace problem to go away.  Because if
it does then you now the problem is in your emacs customization in
your ~/.emacs or wherever you are locating it.

Bob

* Re: Can't insert curly brace for string interpolation in ruby-mode
@ 2013-04-06  4:32                   ` Andrew Pennebaker
From: Andrew Pennebaker @ 2013-04-06  4:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org, david+emacsformacosx

With help from #macdev, I was finally able to write a more sophisticated
Emacs shell script. If you download
https://github.com/mcandre/dotfiles/blob/master/emacs.sh and soft link it
as /usr/bin/emacs, it allows you to launch emacs from a terminal as a GUI
app, or a pure command line ncurses app, by properly responding to the
various emacs command line options.

I'm fairly demanding of my programs, so I hassled a few communities to help
the shell script meet a lot of constraints. The dependencies are Emacs for
Mac OS X, bash, and Mac OS X, though conceivably the script could be ported
to Aquamacs or Homebrew Emacs.

The emacs shell script will work with a file to open, without a file to
open, with and without other command line arguments such as -Q, --version,
and --help, and files and command line flags can be passed to emacs in
arbitrary order (${1+"$@"}).

In GUI mode, Emacs will release control from the shell; you can keep
entering commands in the terminal that Emacs was launched from without
having to background the process with Control+Z. Emacs does not die with
the shell, if you happen to close the terminal (nohup).

Emacs will open in the foreground, not behind the terminal (osascript).

Emacs will not interrupt your terminal experience with stdout messages (>
/dev/null).

If you do use the -nw flag, emacs will open inside the terminal in curses
mode.

--

@ 2013-04-06  4:39                     ` Steven Degutis
From: Steven Degutis @ 2013-04-06  4:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Pennebaker; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org, david+emacsformacosx

Your first two paragraphs reminded me of something:
http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lo3fy1mswH1qanohb.jpg

-Steven

On Fri, Apr 5, 2013 at 11:32 PM, Andrew Pennebaker <

@ 2013-04-07  3:33 ` Zhen Sun
From: Zhen Sun @ 2013-04-07  3:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Andrew Pennebaker <andrew.pennebaker@gmail.com> writes:

> Ruby uses the syntax "... #{expression}..." for string interpolation. But
> when I press left curly brace, Emacs says "Symbol's value as variable is
> void: last-command-char".
>
> I C-h k {, and saw that { and } are bound to ruby-electric-brace. This
> function appears to be malfunctioning.

I had the same problem days ago. Fixed by installing ruby-electric from
ELPA.

Zhen