Your first two paragraphs reminded me of something: http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lo3fy1mswH1qanohb.jpg -Steven On Fri, Apr 5, 2013 at 11:32 PM, Andrew Pennebaker < andrew.pennebaker@gmail.com> wrote: > With help from #macdev, I was finally able to write a more sophisticated > Emacs shell script. If you download > https://github.com/mcandre/dotfiles/blob/master/emacs.sh and soft link it > as /usr/bin/emacs, it allows you to launch emacs from a terminal as a GUI > app, or a pure command line ncurses app, by properly responding to the > various emacs command line options. > > I'm fairly demanding of my programs, so I hassled a few communities to > help the shell script meet a lot of constraints. The dependencies are Emacs > for Mac OS X, bash, and Mac OS X, though conceivably the script could be > ported to Aquamacs or Homebrew Emacs. > > The emacs shell script will work with a file to open, without a file to > open, with and without other command line arguments such as -Q, --version, > and --help, and files and command line flags can be passed to emacs in > arbitrary order (${1+"$@"}). > > In GUI mode, Emacs will release control from the shell; you can keep > entering commands in the terminal that Emacs was launched from without > having to background the process with Control+Z. Emacs does not die with > the shell, if you happen to close the terminal (nohup). > > Emacs will open in the foreground, not behind the terminal (osascript). > > Emacs will not interrupt your terminal experience with stdout messages (> > /dev/null). > > If you do use the -nw flag, emacs will open inside the terminal in curses > mode. > > > > On Fri, Apr 5, 2013 at 11:21 PM, Bob Proulx wrote: > >> Steven Degutis wrote: >> > Andrew Pennebaker wrote: >> > > When I try open -a emacs --args ${1+"$@"}, I have to choose either >> open a >> > > file, or provide a command line argument. I can't do both. >> > >> > (1) Yes, that's true. That's a limitation of emacs, not the open >> command. >> > Do `emacs --help` >> >> You should be able to do 'emacs -Q filename.rb' however. >> >> I see you using the old idiom ${1+"$@"}. That is fine. That will >> work everywhere. But unless you are working on Solaris then that >> idiom can be shorted to simply "$@" without checking $1 first. All >> modern shells treat "$@" correctly now and it is required by POSIX. >> >> You have been focusing on trying to get the "open" to work. But you >> could just for the experiment try emacs in a terminal window and get >> the test done. >> >> emacs -nw -Q >> >> Just ignore the who "open" problem for the moment and just test >> whether -Q causes your curly brace problem to go away. Because if >> it does then you now the problem is in your emacs customization in >> your ~/.emacs or wherever you are locating it. >> >> Bob >> > > > > -- > Cheers, > > Andrew Pennebaker > www.yellosoft.us >