In that case, are there any built-in functions or things that let me create a "pop up" window/frame/anything? Kinda like a windows dialog "Are you sure" box in the sense that it sits on top of everything else centerde in the screen, but still responds to my keys. -Steven On Thu, Apr 18, 2013 at 5:00 PM, Drew Adams wrote: > > I was in dired, and I deleted a dir using D, then I hit "y" > > to confirm I want to delete it. Next I try to go copy another > > with C, but nothing happens. I look in the minibuffer and it > > says "Please answer y or n. Kill dired buffer of foo, too? > > (y or n)". > > > > I had no idea it was asking me this second question. I > > completely forgot that it would. And the minibuffer where it > > asks it is the bottom left of my screen, while the dired > > buffer is in the top-right, this being a 27" Apple display > > at highest possible resolution, so there's no way I would > > have noticed it. > > > > Is there a way to make this kind of question pop-up a new > > frame or some other more visual way of asking this? > > I think we've all been bitten by that more than once. ;-) > > Dunno whether someone else will have a brilliant suggestion. (I don't.) > > There are ways to make Emacs flash, burp, and wave its arms wildly, and you > could always attach those to (your version of) `y-or-n-p'. But soon you > might > find that annoying. > > FWIW, `y-or-n-p' does not use the minibuffer. It simply reads a > user-initiated > event, which is typically hitting a key (e.g. `y' or `n'). If it doesn't > like > the event it reads then it asks you again. and again. > >