Actually since overlays can be per-window, it might actually make dimming other *windows* work, which was the original goal, rather than other *buffers*. So using window-specific overlays may be worth a try. If I can ever figure out how to use them. -Steven On Wed, Apr 3, 2013 at 10:15 AM, Óscar Fuentes wrote: > Steven Degutis writes: > > > It's now called `auto-dim-other-buffers` and it just got a whole lot more > > efficient and faster: > https://github.com/sdegutis/auto-dim-other-buffers.el > > I see that you introduced some intelligence for operating only on/when > the buffers affected by the change. Maybe it is worth to try the overlay > approach. I bet that it will be efficient enough. > > What I'm concerned about is the collision of the overlay that auto-dim > creates with the overlays that might pre-exist in the window. But the > current implementation already suffers a similar problem with faces, so > it can't be worse. > > >