Thanks. The goal was to make it more obvious at a really quick glance where the cursor is. Thumbifying and iconifying won't suffice because generally I need all my windows open at once. Maybe I'm abnormal. For now I just made my hl-line face have a blue background. It's working well enough for now. -Steven On Thu, Apr 4, 2013 at 4:55 PM, Drew Adams wrote: > FWIW, and ignore this if it doesn't help - > > 1. I suggest you start by asking yourself *why* you want to distinguish the > selected window (or all the non-selected windows, which amounts to the same > thing). > > If the answer it just to *make clear which* window is selected, then > dimming any > of them is not a great approach, IMHO. If that's the only reason then > presumably you would want all of the windows to remain easy to read etc. > > If the answer is just to more or less remove the non-selected windows from > your > attention, then I'd suggest that there are better approaches, including > perhaps > scaling their text smaller. > > IOW, if you do not really care whether the non-selected windows are as > readable > as the selected window, and you do not want to be distracted by them but > would > prefer to more or less ignore them temporarily, then why bother wasting so > much > screen real estate on them? Taking up screen space with intentionally > dimmed > windows makes little sense to me. > > > 2. Out of the box, text scaling does not free up any screen real estate: > when > you shrink text its window does not also shrink. But if you use library > `face-remap+.el' then non-nil option `text-scale-resize-window' shrinks the > window along with the text. > > However, just resizing a window in conjunction with text scaling affects > only > the vertical space, not the horizontal space. And shrinking one window > grows > the adjacent windows, so in itself it is not a solution to try shrinking > all the > non-selected windows. The heights and widths of their frames would not > change. > > > 3. But you can also thumbify a frame, which is similar but it does shrink > the > frame. It shrinks the text of each of its windows (so you would not want > to > thumbify the frame that has the selected window). > > You can set the thumbifying shrink factor so that thumbified frames are > anything > from tiny (active desktop icons, in essence) to only slightly smaller than > normal. > > When you thumbify a frame, it puts its windows and text in the background > in > terms of your attention - and it frees up screen space. > > But the windows and text are still there and still usable. Depending on > the > shrink factor you choose, this effect is more or less pronounced. > > Even very tiny frames whose text is unreadable can be effective in terms of > searching text or monitoring process output. IOW, for some Emacs > operations you > do not actually need to be able to read the text clearly. > > (Ordinary frame iconifying is of course another solution to the attention > focus/distraction problem, albeit a somewhat coarse one. It too gets less > interesting frames out of the way. But you cannot see their content or > interact > with it.) > > http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs-en/download/face-remap%2b.el > http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs-en/download/thumb-frm.el > > Doc/screenshot of thumbified frames: > http://www.emacswiki.org/FisheyeWithThumbs > >