Looks like I might be able to just change `ido-completions` in some minor places to accomplish what I'm looking to do. Then if it seems legit, maybe I can submit it as a patch to emacs. Although, that process sounds more painful than it should be. -Steven On Thu, Apr 4, 2013 at 10:16 AM, Steven Degutis wrote: > Helm is way, way overkill. I tried it for months and I can't get used to > it. It does too many things, has too many options, leaves buffers lying > around whenever you use it. But the way ido-mode works is quite perfect. > All except this one little visual detail that I'm thinking is probably easy > to fix. > > -Steven > > > On Thu, Apr 4, 2013 at 10:06 AM, Tom wrote: > >> Steven Degutis gmail.com> writes: >> >> > These ideas seem like overkill. The current technique ido-mode >> > uses is great, it just could use a different visual >> > representation when displayed vertically, that's all. I'm sure >> > it can't be that hard, maybe forking ido-mode and hard-coding >> > it would be sufficient. >> >> In that case it would make more sense to use Helm. Helm uses a >> vertical display by default, so the best solution would be to >> create some kind of a bridge between them, so that ido provides >> the backend and Helm the frontend. >> >> >> >> >