all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: Jerry Asher <ja2038@gmail.com>
To: Michael Albinus <michael.albinus@gmx.de>
Cc: 23186@debbugs.gnu.org
Subject: bug#23186: closed (Re: bug#23186: 25.0.92; Tramp: Windows does not always set COMSPEC, tramp blows up in a string-match)
Date: Sat, 2 Apr 2016 13:11:01 -0700	[thread overview]

Thanks for the response Michael.

Clearly I wasn't interested in a flamewar either.

+ I submitted a relatively complete bug report
+ I explained how I got there
+ I explained its relative importance
+ I provided evidence that others were seeing this issue in different areas
+ I explained I was not a windows developer
+ I proposed an initial suggested fix

None of these are activities someone looking for a flamewar would do

Imagine my horror to be met on the very first response from Gnu

+ What I wanted the maintainers to do was unreasonable
+ My particular configuration invalidated the need to look at the bug
entirely
+ A misrepresentation of my fix making it look much more fragile
+ Being given a vague demand to produce more evidence and no instructions
on what was needed or how to supply it

*What is the full contents of the environment of the Emacs process whenyou
run that zapped binary?*

And then to have a defamatory slur placed in the bug report.

Michael, I am not interested in a flamewar, regardless, your trust in him
aside, I was abused by Eli this morning.

> Your first proposal, trusting C:\Windows\system32\cmd.exe, hasn't been
accepted, by reasons Eli has given. And indeed, it looks too me like too
much heuristic, so I'm with Eli.

I don't even know what that means.

As I said:

+ *"**C:\Windows\system32\cmd.exe"*  THIS WAS LITERALLY NOT WHAT I PROPOSED
+ Regardless, when COMSPEC is not defined, assigning NIL to
tramp-encoding-shell CERTAINLY IS WRONG.
+ Other people are seeing this problem too, google it as I showed you.

Since you are the maintainer, I would never deign to claim I know more than
you do about TRAMP

So please Michael,

+ bug reporters are often NOT the best person to analyse or propose a
solution.
+ When COMSPEC is not defined, assigning NIL to tramp-encoding-shell
CERTAINLY IS WRONG.
+ Other people see this problem too.,

WHAT DO YOU THE MAINTAINER PROPOSE as a solution?

Since I am not a windows developer, I think my actual proposal setting the
value to "%SYSTEMROOT%\system32\cmd.exe" is a reasonable first start.

I note it seems to work up to and including Windows 10 64.

I don't know where cmd.exe is supposed to live, or how it's supposed to be
found, but I do know the path I suggested, which misrepresented as you and
Eli have done, actually works and would work FAR better than setting it to
NIL.

Once more, I am not a windows developer, you are the maintainer, I have
reported a bug, a bug felt not just by me but by many others, the current
code, which sets it to NIL is 10,000% guaranteed to be wrong, since you
REJECTED my proposed suggestion which would seem to work in most cases and
be a great place to start,

Here are a list of many other people who see this bug:
https://www.google.com/search?q=emacs+cmd.exe+tramp-encoding-shell+string-match

AS THE TRAMP MAINTAINER, WHAT DO YOU SUGGEST TO FIX THIS BUG?

Thank you for your attention,

Jerry