Yes, thanks, I'm aware of that (and actually the issue doesn't appear if I use a value > 100 for that variable), but it does a different thing, for example it does not center anymore the next word when I use interactive search and that's something nice to have. Moreover, it looks like a bug nevertheless... On Fri, Jun 28, 2019, 11:11 PM Pip Cet wrote: > On Fri, Jun 28, 2019 at 4:27 PM Andrea Cardaci > wrote: > > Basically as the title says, here's how to reproduce this: > > > > 1. start Emacs with -Q; > > > > 2. evaluate this sexp: > > > > (progn > > (custom-set-variables > > '(scroll-step 1) > > '(scroll-margin 0)) > > I think you want scroll-conservatively. Here's the documentation: > > DEFVAR_INT ("scroll-step", emacs_scroll_step, > doc: /* The number of lines to try scrolling a window by when > point moves out. > If that fails to bring point back on frame, point is centered instead. > If this is zero, point is always centered after it moves off frame. > If you want scrolling to always be a line at a time, you should set > `scroll-conservatively' to a large value rather than set this to 1. */); > > DEFVAR_INT ("scroll-conservatively", scroll_conservatively, > doc: /* Scroll up to this many lines, to bring point back on screen. > If point moves off-screen, redisplay will scroll by up to > `scroll-conservatively' lines in order to bring point just barely > onto the screen again. If that cannot be done, then redisplay > recenters point as usual. > > If the value is greater than 100, redisplay will never recenter point, > but will always scroll just enough text to bring point into view, even > if you move far away. > > A value of zero means always recenter point if it moves off screen. */); >