Well, for the second question, just do emacs -q, then load papyrus.el and do `M-x papyrus-demo`. For the first question pdf-tools is required to be installed, I am not sure how to achieve that from emacs -q (well besides building the server manually, after installing pdf-tools using `list-packages` I guess). So maybe you could answer/comment on the second question. And maybe someone who has pdf-tools installed can answer/comment on the first question. But I have commented out the 'print hack' now, so that the instruction becomes to 'uncomment` it (and 'slurp' it as final statements inside the `papyrus-redisplay` function`), after testing the behavior with the lines commented out first. On Sat, 16 Apr 2022 at 18:49, Eli Zaretskii wrote: > > From: dalanicolai > > Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2022 18:37:24 +0200 > > > > 1. papyrus.el uses the `papyrus-redisplay` function, which creates the > 'scroll' > > by adding 'space' display properties to the overlays, and page images to > > the 'currently visible overlays'. The redisplay works fine on > Spacemacs/Doom, > > but for vanilla Emacs, in order to 'finalize' the process requires a > hack which is > > to 'print' something to the echo area, after which the 'redisplay' will > finish > > and show the images. > > > > I have tried to use `redisplay/force-window-update` for this, but those > do not > > seem to have the right effect. > > > > Obviously, my question is if you can tell me why the hack 'is required' > and what > > would be the better way to achieve/finalize the redisplay. > > > > 2. I would expect that a specified space (space display property for the > 'gap' > > overlays, i.e. the space between the pages) could be smaller than the > default > > 'line-pixel-height`. However, this does not seem possible by just > setting a > > smaller :height for the space display property, as the overlay will > always have > > a minimum height of the default 'line-pixel-height' > > > > To see/reproduce what I mean you can simply load `papyrus.el` and do > > `M-x papyrus-demo`. You can experiment with the 'gap/space-height' by > setting > > the `papyrus-gap-height`. > > > > For 'reproducing' the 'issue' of the first question, you can simply load > > pdf-scroll.el (but first set the correct path to `papyrus.el` at the > beginning > > of that file. Also, pdf-scroll.el requires pdf-tools to be correctly > installed). > > Subsequently, open some pdf file, and split the window. I hope you will > find > > that the continuous scroll, including the functionality of the > > `pdf-tools-enabled-modes`, works perfectly fine in vanilla Emacs (scroll > with arrows > > and page-down/up). Now, to see what I mean with the display 'issue' > comment out the > > last two lines of the `papyrus-redisplay` function, and again try to > split the > > window from the pdf buffer, you will find that the extra step of > printing is > > required before the image will show correctly. > > Since using the actual code requires complex setups, would you please > show simpler recipes for these two issues, ones that can be used > easily from "emacs -Q"? Then I will try to answer your questions > above. > > Thanks. >