I have changed the binding to just `r' then. I don't remember why I chose `r`, but I guess it stands for 'replace'. As I am using evil, I prefer if the same bindings also work in evil, without further configuration. However, `r` works perfectly fine for both here, so it looks as a perfect alternative. On Sun, 25 Sept 2022 at 23:37, Philip Kaludercic wrote: > dalanicolai writes: > > > Well, I am an evil (vim keybindings) user, and only know very few Emacs > > default keybindings. > > Also, I guess search functionality is not very important when simply > > adjusting page numbers in a table of contents. > > One of the nice things about Emacs is that everything is a buffer and > can be treated as text that you process just like any file or non-file > buffer. If someone wants to search a buffer, I consider it improper for > a package to inhibit them from doing so. > > (I haven't checked, but I am guessing that C-r is supposed to be a > mnemonic for "refresh"? It would be more conventional to bind this to > "g", that `special-mode' binds to `revert-buffer' -- this also means > that you can just use `revert-buffer-function' directly instead.) > > > But suggestions for improvements are always welcome. > > > > On Sun, 25 Sept 2022 at 19:13, Yuri Khan wrote: > > > >> On Sun, 25 Sept 2022 at 23:49, dalanicolai > wrote: > >> > >> > As mentioned in > >> > the instructions for the tabular mode the contents of every field in > >> tabular mode can be > >> > updated by reading from the user through placing the cursor on the > field > >> and then pressing > >> > C-r. > >> > >> Do you seriously rebind C-r away from isearch-backward? > >> >