B.t.w. Drew in his info+.el implemented a bit more fancy search using `apropos-parse-pattern` from apropos.el. I am not yet familiar with its exact functionality (although he explains it in his docstring), but it could be a nice improvement. However, I expect that my current implementation would be fine for 99% of my PERSONAL use cases... Also, I have available the even fancier `Info-occur` about which I informed you already. As a very short additional explanation about that function, I mention that it uses Emacs its bookmarks functionality to store and find matches. On Tue, 25 May 2021 at 16:12, dalanicolai wrote: > Ah, that is a pity. Well then I will send my proposal here. I am not sure > how > I could best approach this. I have a proposal ready, but I don't want to > put > in too much effort, before getting any feedback about my plan/general > proposal. > > So to start I will attach my code in a file here, but I would like to hear > how/in > what form I am expected to send the code (in this case for getting feedback > on the general plan). > > Here is a small explanation to the code: > > - The first function (`info-list-all`) creates a list of manuals, or with > a non-nil > value for the TOPICS argument, a list of topics in the Info dir file. > - The second function (`info-topic-list-all`) creates a list of all > manuals under > some topic. > > The 'boiler plate code' for these two function was taken from the > `Info-apropos-matches` function. > These two functions can be used to create a list of manuals that can be > passed > to the (new) `info-apropos` for search. > > > Then there is a (rudimentary) defcustom `Info-apropos-default-manuals` that > takes as default value all manuals under topic 'Emacs' in the Info dir > file. > I would argue that this is a better than searching all manuals on the > system. > An alternative default could be searching only the Emacs and Elisp manuals. > > But searching all Emacs manuals doesn't take too long here. > With the default value of `Info-apropos-default-manuals` (i.e. > search all manuals under topic "Emacs") > `(benchmark nil (info-apropos "function" t))` messages only 0.000002s ;) > (Is this to be expected or is it a bug?) > > I am not sure how to handle startup with its default value of > `(info-topic-list-all "Emacs")`, as that function opens the Info buffer. > > > Then there is the working horse function of `info-apropos` i.e. > `Info-apropos-matches` which is just the original one taken from info.el > but > with the small modification that it can take a list of manuals, and only > searches a manual if it is in that list. > > > Then there is the slightly modified `info-apropos` command which by default > searches in the manuals as listed in the `Info-apropos-default-manuals` > variable. (Again, for which the default value is a list of all manuals > under the > topic 'Emacs' the Info dir file) > With when ARG is non-nil it will search all manuals on the system. > When passes a MANUALS-LIST (which should be list), then it will search > only the > manuals in that list. > > > Finally, there is an additional command `Info-apropos-select` with which > you > can either select a single manual for search or with a prefix argument, > select a > single topic for search. > > Of course this last selection function could be made more elaborate, but I > think that > that is probably overkill and adds unnecessary complexity. > > I would be happy to hear any form of feedback or advice. > Thanks! > > > On Mon, 24 May 2021 at 10:51, Eli Zaretskii wrote: > >> On May 24, 2021 11:37:11 AM GMT+03:00, dalanicolai >> wrote: >> > So it turns out that Drew Adams wrote something very useful already... >> > probably I will propose some additions to his package here >> >> His package is not part of Emacs, so if you want to improve the command >> that is part of Emacs, this isn't the way. >> >