Hi Alan > Again, how does this binding of post-self-insert-hook to nil in CC Mode > affect you? What is it you're trying to do that this binding makes > difficult? ATM this change breaks at least 2 packages - lsp-mode and smartparents. I am the maintainer of lsp-mode and it uses the hook for 2 things: 1. There are keys that are triggering displaying function signature. 2. There are keys that are triggering onTypeFormatting which happens asynchronously. I am not aware of how exactly smartparens uses post-insert-hook. Thanks, Ivan On Sun, Dec 1, 2019 at 5:07 PM Alan Mackenzie wrote: > Hello, Ivan. > > On Sun, Dec 01, 2019 at 12:02:56 +0200, yyoncho wrote: > > Hi Alan, > > > > There are other possible "fixes", for example modifying these functions > > > so that they don't use self-insert-command at all, but somehow I don't > > > think that's what you want. > > > I don't think that the code that is implemented against the contract > listed > > in the hook documentation should be rewritten. If electric stuff is so > > that important and there is no way to disable it by default then at > > least a function to unbind the electric functionality the > > documentation of post-self-insert-hook should state: "Don't rely on > > this hook in cc derived modes because of {implementation details}. If > > you still want to use post-self-insert-hook disable use > > {implementation details} to turn electric off." > > The problem you have stumbled over is more of a political problem than a > technical one. > > post-self-insert-hook was introduced relatively recently as a quick and > dirty method of doing certain things. Its implications weren't thought > through beforehand. In particular, it breaks major modes which use > self-insert-command as part of their processing, including CC Mode. > > If functions put onto post-self-insert-hook didn't violate the > definition of self-insert-command (inserting exactly one copy of the key > typed), there wouldn't be a problem. An example of such a function is > blink-paren-post-self-insert-function (see lisp/simple.el L7801). > > However, there are several functions put onto this hook that make > extensive buffer changes. An example is > electric-pair-post-self-insert-function (in lisp/elec-pair.el). These > mess up self-insert-command, and violate the principle that major modes > should be in charge of what text goes where in a window. > > People like using post-self-insert-hook without worrying about the > problems it causes. Binding post-self-insert-hook to nil in CC Mode, > while not good, was a pragmatic workaround from around a year ago. This > allowed electric-pair-mode to function in CC Mode. As I said, this > problem is primarily a political problem. Forgive me not wanting to > draw too much attention to it at the moment. > > Again, how does this binding of post-self-insert-hook to nil in CC Mode > affect you? What is it you're trying to do that this binding makes > difficult? > > > Thanks, > > Ivan > > -- > Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany). >