Hi Philipp, As Eli commented in this thread, the decoding is must have for all external libraries no matter what is their contract. Thanks, Ivan On Sun, Apr 21, 2019 at 3:59 PM Philipp Stephani wrote: > Am So., 21. Apr. 2019 um 12:24 Uhr schrieb yyoncho : > > > > Hi Eli, > > > >> > >> In any case, even if decoding takes 50% of the time we spend in Emacs > >> code, it is still not significant enough to justify the un-safety of > >> using a string that we didn't decode, because if that string ever > >> includes raw bytes, Emacs will surely crash. > > > > > > IMO if validation of the data that comes from external libraries is > taking a lot of time then it does not make sense to use external libraries > at all when we are aiming for performance gains. > > > There's no need to validate Jansson's output because it already > validates that the input is valid UTF-8, and never generates invalid > strings. >