I think that it will be fairly common (e. g. everyone using lsp-mode) will have to use that setting. I am afraid that even if I choose option 1 the distributions like spacemacs/doom will set it globally(because they are allowed to be opinionated). When you create a process you provide a bunch of settings(e. g. :connection-type, :filter, :no-query). Can we make another property for the read max size? Thanks, Ivan On Sat, Dec 21, 2019 at 8:25 PM Eli Zaretskii wrote: > > > 1. Document it in lsp-mode's readme > > > 2. Override it with a setting in lsp-mode with a bigger value. > > > > > > Both have clear advantages and disadvantages. Can you advise? > > > > I'd suggest the former, because if lsp-mode sets the value, it will > > affect the entire Emacs session. > > > > If lsp-mode uses accept-process-output, it could bind the variable > > inside the form which calls accept-process-output. > > Btw, my assumption was that the value will have to be changed from > default only in very rare situations. If this is not the case, we > might indeed want that to be a parameter at process creation time (I > don't think we have process-local variables, do we?). >