all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: Mathias Dahl <mathias.dahl@gmail.com>
To: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org>
Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Alignment and images
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2016 15:01:27 +0200	[thread overview]

> >> I wanted to implement a file browser for image files
> >
> > Do you know about image-dired?
> > I imagine you'll dislike how it makes the thumbnails; bug#10758.
>
> I think it's pretty ... bad.  :-)

Hi Lars Magne, heja Norge!

Since I initially wrote that little hack for my own needs, I know it was
useful for me back then, which means I will not take any offense :) Also,
since Richard approached me about including it in Emacs I thought it might
be of at least half-decent quality...

Out of curiosity, is there something in particular that is bad about it, or
do you dislike the whole thing? :-P I don't have much need for it anymore
but I did try it last year, just to see if it still worked, and I thought
it was quite simple to use, several years after I stopped using it myself.
As a local/personal hack, it's no problem but I never liked that it relies
on all those external tools, but there were no other options back then.
Perhaps the ImageMagick tools are not that bad in that they are quite
common, but then there is jpegtrans (for rotation, IIRC) and some Exif tool
as well...

Whatever you think of it, the approach of using thumbnails quite easily
avoids the issue you seem to want to solve. Perhaps you should give it a
try again, if you haven't already?

By the way, does anyone on the list know how much of the image handling
(create thumbnails and other resized versions of an image, non-lossy
rotatation of JPEG and Exif manipulation) that can be done if Emacs is
built with ImageMagick libs?

/Mathias

PS. There are some parts of image-dired.el that are really half-cooked. For
example there was some code to create HTML image galleries and some sort of
slideshow stuff that I'm not that proud of (but once server some need).
It's hard to know if we could rip such stuff out without risking annoying
users who might be using it...