Hi! Finally, I start to understand what you are trying to do. Here is a recipe on how to enable it: - In System Preferences > Keyboard > Shortcuts > Services, select Text > Open Selected File - Restart Emacs. (I didn't, which caused Aquamacs to be launched) I did test your patch from within gmail in Chrome. One this that I realized was that when typing a space, it sometimes came out as a plain space, sometimes as a non-breakable space. I'm not sure this is specific to the edit field in gmail, but I think it would ba good idea to trim both kind of spaces. Regarding 3) and Anders' comment "If all you do is to place the call inside > a dolist, you should be ok. Introducing additional functions (only used in > one location) isn't 100% clean either." I'm not sure I want to change the > cond block because it is very elegant as it is. Please advise. > I'm find with how the code looks now. It's less cluttered than when two functions were used. However, I'm not 100% comfortable to use `subr-x' since it is somewhat experimental (e.g. the functions in the file is not documented in the Emacs lisp manual). Besides, it doesn't trim non-breakable spaces. You could use something like the following: (save-match-data (string-match "\\`[ \u00A0]*\\(.*?\\)[ \u00A0]*\\'" path-string) (match-string 1 path-string)) Some small things: - When sending a patch, it's better to do it against the latest Emacs archive, rather than against the Aquamacs archive. In this case, I had to manually edit the files to apply the patch. Also, for future reference, it's better to attach it than to supply a link. - In a doc string, the first line should be a full sentence with a summary of what the function does. The reason is that when using "apropos", only the first line of the doc string is shown. -- Anders