Auhm -- when starting to write the bug report I decided to make sure I got all the facts right. Unfortunately, it turned out that I had run an old Emacs 23 on X11 -- which do run the window-size-change-functions. When testing on an Emacs 25 on X11, it turns out that it doesn't. Back on the mac, I see the same pattern. In other words: On Emacs 23, window-size-change-functions is called when the user manually resized the frame. On Emacs 24 and Emacs 25 it isn't. Sorry for the mixup. Anyway, I just reported this regression as bug#21975. I noticed this since Follow-mode no longer aligns its windows automatically when the user resized the frame. In practice, this is not a big problem since they will become aligned at the first user interaction instead. -- Anders On Sat, Nov 21, 2015 at 8:08 PM, Eli Zaretskii wrote: > > Date: Sat, 21 Nov 2015 19:44:07 +0100 > > From: martin rudalics > > CC: andlind@gmail.com, acm@muc.de, 19576@debbugs.gnu.org, > > juri@linkov.net > > > > > We could run both types of hooks, couldn't we? > > > > As I said we do that already for splitting and deleting windows. So we > > obviously could. But this means that packages run the same function > > twice because they are used to run the same function in both hooks. > > That'[s why I think we should do this on master, to see if this causes > any problems. > > > > The documentation > > > seems to suggest that both of them should be run in this situation. > > > > ‘window-configuration-change-hook’ shouldn't run since the window > > configuration does not change. > > But the ELisp manual says it should: > > -- Variable: window-configuration-change-hook > A normal hook that is run every time you change the window > configuration of an existing frame. This includes splitting or > deleting windows, changing the sizes of windows, or displaying a > ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ > different buffer in a window. > > > But why should we OT1H make ‘window-size-change-functions’ more > > efficient when OTOH we call it after we already called > > ‘window-configuration-change-hook’? > > Sorry, I don't see the relevance of efficiency to this issue. >