Hi! I agree that we would need to find out why the patch makes Emacs slow. (In fact, I only supplied the information about the internals of follow-mode to help you track down the problems with the slowdown.) However, I don't agree with Eli -- it is possible to place window-start at point-max! However, there is code in the display engine that explicitly recenters such windows, after a while, or when something happens. For example: emacs -Q C-x 3 C-x o M-: (set-window-start (selected-window) (point-max)) RET C-x o M-< blablabla (type some text) As you type text in the left window at the beginning of the scratch buffer, the right window is recentered. Follow-mode needs its windows to stay put (even the empty ones), as this is essential in creating the illusion that a number of windows make up a very tall virtual window. When I originally wrote follow-mode (some 18 years ago), I suggested to the Emacs maintainers to add a feature to make the recentering of empty windows conditional, so that follow-mode could control this. However, at the time they were not interested so I continued with the current system, which has worked flawlessly since then. If you are interested in making the change in the display engine, follow-mode should of course be rewritten to use it. Otherwise, I suggest that we keep it as it is today -- solutions using overlays etc. don't appeal to me at all. -- Anders On Fri, Dec 13, 2013 at 5:38 PM, Stefan Monnier wrote: > > I am the original author of follow-mode, so I can share one interesting > > implementation detail. When the viewed buffer ends before the last > window, > > follow-mode tries to display this window without any content (by setting > > the window start to point-max). Unfortunately, the Emacs display engine > > always tries ensure that windows are not empty so it repositions it... > So, > > follow-mode hammers in its view of the world every chance it gets, > > currrently in post-command hook and window-scroll-functions. > > Hmm.. so we have 2 things to do: > 1- figure out why my patch slowed things down so much. > 2- change follow-mode to use a different approach. Maybe a good way is > to do the following: put window-point at point-max, and add an overlay > on window-start...point-max that makes the text invisible (with > a `window' property, so it's only invisible in that window). > Of course, maybe that won't work either. But hooking everywhere > doesn't sound like a good idea. > > > -- Stefab >