all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Why is emacs on my mac?
@ 2014-05-14 15:14 Whitfield Palmer
       [not found] ` <mailman.1355.1400100703.1147.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Whitfield Palmer @ 2014-05-14 15:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

I've recently noticed tons of files on my computer and I've linked them to
your company? What are you and how did they get there?

Thanks,
Whit Palmer

* Re: Why is emacs on my mac?
@ 2014-05-14 20:51 ` Jai Dayal
       [not found]   ` <CABptSgOEdPppcNj4ScX68+gnmpav=8ojOxHMujFDJ91tLGXECQ@mail.gmail.com>
       [not found] ` <mailman.1355.1400100703.1147.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Jai Dayal @ 2014-05-14 20:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: whitfield.palmer; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

I can't tell if this is a troll job or a legitimate question...

On Wed, May 14, 2014 at 11:14 AM, Whitfield Palmer <
whitfield.palmer@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've recently noticed tons of files on my computer and I've linked them to
> your company? What are you and how did they get there?
>
> Thanks,
> Whit Palmer

* Re: Why is emacs on my mac?
       [not found]   ` <CABptSgOEdPppcNj4ScX68+gnmpav=8ojOxHMujFDJ91tLGXECQ@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2014-05-14 21:14     ` Jai Dayal
From: Jai Dayal @ 2014-05-14 21:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: whitfield.palmer, help-gnu-emacs

It's common for operating systems to ship with programs that help the user
use the machine. Mac OSX is Unix, and for its set of programs, it has
chosen to use a combination of existing GNU software (such as the text
editor Emacs), some stuff from BSD, and its own programs that it developed
in house.

Windows does the same thing (i.e., cmd.exe, powershell, notepad, etc),
except it doesn't use anything from GNU or BSD since it's not Linux or
Unix.

Jai

On Wed, May 14, 2014 at 4:59 PM, Whitfield Palmer <
whitfield.palmer@gmail.com> wrote:

> Not a troll job at all.
>

> On 14 May 2014 16:51, Jai Dayal <dayalsoap@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I can't tell if this is a troll job or a legitimate question...
>>

>> On Wed, May 14, 2014 at 11:14 AM, Whitfield Palmer <
>> whitfield.palmer@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I've recently noticed tons of files on my computer and I've linked them
>>> your company? What are you and how did they get there?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Whit Palmer

* Re: Why is emacs on my mac?
       [not found] <mailman.1354.1400100603.1147.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2014-05-14 21:25 ` notbob
From: notbob @ 2014-05-14 21:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 2014-05-14, Whitfield Palmer <whitfield.palmer@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've recently noticed tons of files on my computer and I've linked them to
> your company? What are you and how did they get there?

Yer lucky day!  ;)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emacs

nb

* Re: Why is emacs on my mac?
       [not found] ` <mailman.1355.1400100703.1147.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2014-05-15  2:22   ` Rusi
From: Rusi @ 2014-05-15  2:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Thursday, May 15, 2014 2:21:19 AM UTC+5:30, Jai Dayal wrote:

> On Wed, May 14, 2014 at 11:14 AM, Whitfield Palmer wrote
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've recently noticed tons of files on my computer and I've linked them to
> > your company? What are you and how did they get there?

> I can't tell if this is a troll job or a legitimate question...

Good to know that the dummies and idiots are not the sole constituency of a
famous Redmond company...

* Re: Why is emacs on my mac?
@ 2014-05-15  3:12     ` Jai Dayal
From: Jai Dayal @ 2014-05-15  3:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rusi; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

 He's just new to the environment. Let's not scare people off by sounding
too harsh :)

@ 2014-05-15  4:15 ` Neff
From: Neff @ 2014-05-15  4:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Whitfield Palmer <whitfield.palmer@gmail.com> writes:

> I've recently noticed tons of files on my computer and I've linked them to
> your company? What are you and how did they get there?

Bad news friend.  I can't talk for long, they're onto me too... Whatever
you do don't delete the files!! Their deletion triggers a small
explosive in your system.

Meet me at the following coordinates in two days: -82.86275189999999
-135

Assume you are being watched and followed.

Godspeed.

--
Neff

@ 2014-05-15 16:28 ` Hans BKK
From: Hans BKK @ 2014-05-15 16:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

There are many who theorize that the best text editors remain so hard to learn for "ordinary users" specifically to prevent them clogging up the community's bandwidth with stuff like this.