I agree it's an ill defined problem ; but then, so is isearching for foo\|bar. I disabled the beeping and screen flashing, so it doesn't bother me, but I get the point. In the end, it's mostly a matter of personal convenience. The patched behavior suits me better, and seems more consistent with the way regexp are handled. Best, Antoine On 31 Jan 2017 04:29, "Eli Zaretskii" wrote: > From: Juri Linkov > Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2017 01:24:07 +0200 > Cc: 25562@debbugs.gnu.org > > You can try yourself using the minimal patch below that demonstrates your idea. > > But from what I see, it's not too good, using the recipe from your top post: > > emacs -Q > M-< > M-s w > i > > After typing the letter ā€œiā€, isearch fails, beeps, flashes the screen, > with a clear indication that something went wrong. This is more confusing > for a user, because now a user has to stop and think about what is wrong. I think this is a consequence of the simple fact that "word search" and "incremental search" contradict each other: as long as "the word" was not fully specified, searching for it incrementally is not a well-defined operation.