Drew Adams writes: > OP, here. Hello. > FWIW, this enhancement request (or bug report) > did not ask for the doc string to be filled. It > asked for it to be moved to its own line. Those > are not at all the same thing. I see. When I read the bug report, I thought it was just a suggestion to fix the problem of the customize buffer getting too wide. Perhaps I was wrong. > But that's not a fulfillment of _this_ enhancement > request (or bug fix). What's needed for this report > is to move the doc string to its own line. Can that > please be done, or at least considered? May I ask you then, what is the :format option missing for this situation? For example, if one of the const types of the defcustom you provided had the following format-string: (const :tag "Update `*Completions*' incrementally if already displayed" :format "\n%t\n%d" t) then the tag would go to its own line. And that avoids making the customize buffer too wide. > And if you _also_ want to consider filling the doc > string (that should be a separate enhancement > request), please do _not_ do so systematically. Let > users choose to do that (opt in), with a user option. I take all the points you raised about the filling option, but I think it might be better to at least postpone that discussion.