all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Help with setting a key (C-<right> moving a full word to the right)
@ 2013-06-07  3:20 Max Rubin
From: Max Rubin @ 2013-06-07  3:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hey there helpful listservers!

I only discovered today that you can edit your .emacs file and add in
custom keys and change the settings, and I've unfortunately run into a
problem.  I want ctrl+right arrow to move forward one whole word at a time,
and ctrl+left arrow to move back a whole word at a time.  The keys M-f and
M-b already do this using 'forward-word and 'backward-word, but I cannot
figure out how represent C+<right/left arrow>.  I've tried "
(global-set-key (kbd "C-<right>") 'forward-word " but that doesn't work.
In fact, no key name that exists in angle brackets (<f1>, <f9>, <home>,
<end>) work.  If I changed it to " (global-set-key (kbd "C-l")
'forward-word ", then it works as expected, so my computer is definitely
not comprehending the angle bracket keys.

Anyone know what is wrong and how to fix it?

Thank you,
Max

[parent not found: <mailman.1133.1370587085.22516.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>]