all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* running emacs inside vmware
@ 2012-06-14  8:17 Jim Newton
       [not found] ` <mailman.2791.1339673516.855.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Jim Newton @ 2012-06-14  8:17 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Does anyone have advise about running emacs inside vmware.
For one thing vmware treats ctl-alt special.
I have fixed this by changing the vmware hot key from shift-alt to ctl-shift-alt-win

I've turned off all short-cut keys I can find in KDE as well.

But there are other times when emacs simply gets so confused I have to kill it and restart.  I suspect some of the key combinations have been intercepted either by windows, wmware, or kde.

Any general advise from people who have tried to use this frustrating combination would be greatly appreciated.

Jim

* Re: running emacs inside vmware
@ 2012-06-14 11:31 ` Rajanikanth Jammalamadaka
       [not found] ` <mailman.2791.1339673516.855.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Rajanikanth Jammalamadaka @ 2012-06-14 11:31 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Jim Newton; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Does this happen even in full-screen mode?

Also, if you installed vmware-tools, try the Unity mode.

Thanks,
Raj

--
Rajanikanth

@ 2012-06-18 14:41   ` Jim Newton
From: Jim Newton @ 2012-06-18 14:41 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs, Jim Newton

Hi Raj, thanks for the advise.  Yes it happens even in full-screen
mode.

In the mean-time, i've tracked down more information.
When I press shift-alt-% for query replace, emacs still thinks
the alt is pressed, thus if I type 'p', (because I want to replace p with something), emacs hears alt-p, do display the previous query-replace
target.  :-(

This could also be a citrix issue.  It is the type of bug which citrix
has from time to time.

Jim