all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* bug#55376: Inconsistent behavior in apropos-user-options
@ 2022-05-11 18:38 Liang-Jie Lee
From: Liang-Jie Lee @ 2022-05-11 18:38 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: 55376

According to the manual, apropos-user-option can search not only user
options but variables when adding C-u prefix.
> With C-u prefix, or if ‘apropos-do-all’ is non-nil, also show variables,
not just user options.

From the documentation, I think using C-u should have the same effect as
setting apropos-do-all to t. But my experiment got 2 different results.

1. set apropos-do-all to t
(let ((apropos-do-all t))
  (call-interactively #'apropos-user-option))

Insert "emacs", and I got the result shown in figure 1. In the Apropos
buffer, each variable has a hyperlink to the corresponding *help* buffer.

2. C-u M-x apropos-user-option, and insert "emacs"
The result is shown in figure 2. As you can see, those entries have no
hyperlinks to the documentation.

I think the behavior is not consistent compared to other apropos commands.
For example, no matter using method 1 or 2 to invoke apropos-commands (C-h
a), we would get 2 same buffers both with hyperlinks to click off.

Regards,
Liang-Jie Lee

[-- Attachment #2: 1.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 209202 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #3: 2.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 182467 bytes --]

* bug#55376: Inconsistent behavior in apropos-user-options
@ 2022-05-11 23:49 ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2022-05-11 23:49 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Liang-Jie Lee; +Cc: 55376

Liang-Jie Lee <s930054123yaoyao@gmail.com> writes:

> I think the behavior is not consistent compared to other apropos commands. For
> example, no matter using method 1 or 2 to invoke apropos-commands (C-h a), we
> would get 2 same buffers both with hyperlinks to click off.

Yup.  I've now fixed this in Emacs 29.