all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* problem repeat entry for a number
@ 2012-03-07  3:03 source liu
From: source liu @ 2012-03-07  3:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

hi list,

i know one should repeat a command by C-u + <num> + command,  for
'aaaaaaa' just type C-u 8 a.

but i've come across to a problem such as '99999999',  that doesn't
work properly i'm afraid. C-u 9 9 would treat the 9 9 as '99' which
means 99 times and expecting next input.  Is there any suggestion to
input such a case.

Regards.

--
Liu An
Institution of modern physics, Shanghai, China

* Re: problem repeat entry for a number
@ 2012-03-07  3:42 ` Jambunathan K
From: Jambunathan K @ 2012-03-07  3:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: source liu; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

source liu <sourceonly@gmail.com> writes:

> hi list,
>
> i know one should repeat a command by C-u + <num> + command,  for
> 'aaaaaaa' just type C-u 8 a.
>
> but i've come across to a problem such as '99999999',  that doesn't
> work properly i'm afraid. C-u 9 9 would treat the 9 9 as '99' which
> means 99 times and expecting next input.  Is there any suggestion to
> input such a case.

C-u 9 C-q 9

* Re: problem repeat entry for a number
@ 2012-03-07  4:13   ` source liu
From: source liu @ 2012-03-07  4:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jambunathan K; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Jambunathan,

Yes,  it works, thanks. I didn't even though of C - q can be used as this

Thanks

another question: C-q can quote output C - a --- C - z, respectively,
while not for available C - i and C - j, why?

--

@ 2012-03-07  5:00     ` Deniz Dogan
From: Deniz Dogan @ 2012-03-07  5:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 2012-03-07 05:13, source liu wrote:
> Jambunathan,
>
> Yes,  it works, thanks. I didn't even though of C - q can be used as this
>
> Thanks
>
> another question: C-q can quote output C - a --- C - z, respectively,
> while not for available C - i and C - j, why?

It does quote C-i and C-j, but C-i is the same as TAB and C-j is the
same as newline.  Their visual representation in Emacs differs from e.g.
C-a and C-b.

* Re: problem repeat entry for a number
@ 2012-03-07  5:32 ` Teemu Likonen
From: Teemu Likonen @ 2012-03-07  5:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: source liu; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

* source liu [2012-03-07 11:03:24 +0800] wrote:

> i know one should repeat a command by C-u + <num> + command,  for
> 'aaaaaaa' just type C-u 8 a.
>
> but i've come across to a problem such as '99999999', that doesn't
> work properly i'm afraid. C-u 9 9 would treat the 9 9 as '99' which
> means 99 times and expecting next input. Is there any suggestion to
> input such a case.

The Emacs Editor manual teaches to use C-u to terminate a numeric
argument:

    M-9 C-u 9
    C-u 9 C-u 9

(info "(emacs) Arguments")

* Re: problem repeat entry for a number
@ 2012-03-07  8:59       ` source liu
From: source liu @ 2012-03-07  8:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Deniz Dogan; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

I see,  the display distorted me.  I suppose to get ^I or ^J in the
visual out put.

is that different case from above case?

what about C - m ,  C-q <Return> and C - q C - m

--

@ 2012-03-07  9:01   ` source liu
From: source liu @ 2012-03-07  9:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Teemu Likonen; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Every time I post my question out indices i missed the manual some
where! How sad! :(

Thank you for the altered way to do this

--

@ 2012-03-08  8:05     ` Thien-Thi Nguyen
From: Thien-Thi Nguyen @ 2012-03-08  8:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: source liu; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

() source liu <sourceonly@gmail.com>
() Wed, 7 Mar 2012 17:01:32 +0800

   Every time I post my question out indices
   i missed the manual some where! How sad! :(

Cheer up.

I see it as an opportunity to improve the manual.
What terms did you use to search for this info?

* Re: problem repeat entry for a number
@ 2012-03-08  8:17       ` source liu
From: source liu @ 2012-03-08  8:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thien-Thi Nguyen; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Thu, Mar 8, 2012 at 4:05 PM, Thien-Thi Nguyen <ttn@gnuvola.org> wrote:
> () source liu <sourceonly@gmail.com>
> () Wed, 7 Mar 2012 17:01:32 +0800
>
>   Every time I post my question out indices
>   i missed the manual some where! How sad! :(
>
> Cheer up.

> I see it as an opportunity to improve the manual.
> What terms did you use to search for this info?

             here term you mean something like rxvt xterm?
I'm sorry I'm not quite understand.

as for manuals, i have a problem in looking it up for a quite a long time.

A lot of information I know it should be in C - h, but when i come
across to a issue,
i just can't find which is related to the specific issue.  :(

--

@ 2012-03-08  8:54         ` Thien-Thi Nguyen
From: Thien-Thi Nguyen @ 2012-03-08  8:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: source liu; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

() source liu <sourceonly@gmail.com>
() Thu, 8 Mar 2012 16:17:39 +0800

   > I see it as an opportunity to improve the manual.
   > What terms did you use to search for this info?

   here term you mean something like rxvt xterm?
   I'm sorry I'm not quite understand.

Sorry, i'll rephrase ...

   as for manuals, i have a problem in looking it up for a quite a
   long time.

   A lot of information I know it should be in C - h, but when i
   come across to a issue, i just can't find which is related to
   the specific issue.  :(

... here:

The Emacs hackers would like to improve the manual so that the
answer to questions such as "how to insert 999999999 using a
prefix argument" can be more easily found, perhaps by adding terms
to the manual's index, or by adding/clarifying specific pieces of
text.  To figure out what to do, it's best to know what happened,
previously.  That's why i asked that question, with "term" being
another way to say "index topic".  I presumed (maybe mistakenly?)
that you used the index.

So, more generally: "What was your strategy to search for the
answer to this question?"

* Re: problem repeat entry for a number
@ 2012-03-08  9:25           ` source liu
From: source liu @ 2012-03-08  9:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thien-Thi Nguyen; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Thu, Mar 8, 2012 at 4:54 PM, Thien-Thi Nguyen <ttn@gnuvola.org> wrote:
> () source liu <sourceonly@gmail.com>
> () Thu, 8 Mar 2012 16:17:39 +0800
>
>   > I see it as an opportunity to improve the manual.
>   > What terms did you use to search for this info?
>
>   here term you mean something like rxvt xterm?
>   I'm sorry I'm not quite understand.
>
> Sorry, i'll rephrase ...
>
>   as for manuals, i have a problem in looking it up for a quite a
>   long time.
>
>   A lot of information I know it should be in C - h, but when i
>   come across to a issue, i just can't find which is related to
>   the specific issue.  :(
>
> ... here:
>
> The Emacs hackers would like to improve the manual so that the
> answer to questions such as "how to insert 999999999 using a
> prefix argument" can be more easily found, perhaps by adding terms
> to the manual's index, or by adding/clarifying specific pieces of
> text.  To figure out what to do, it's best to know what happened,
> previously.  That's why i asked that question, with "term" being
> another way to say "index topic".  I presumed (maybe mistakenly?)
> that you used the index.
>
> So, more generally: "What was your strategy to search for the
> answer to this question?"

got it, thanks for your patience.

first i tried C - h k C-u,  and get help message.

of course it gave out some information, but i'm a little dazzled by
the description.

***  part of  C -h k C-u  *****
Repeating C-u without digits or minus sign
 multiplies the argument by 4 each time.
For some commands, just C-u by itself serves as a flag
***  end of  C -h k C-u  *****

I may treat the flag "C-u" as a *terminating flag* now since i know
C-u can be used this way. but at that time i thought nothing of it
( even not think of type C -u again) and of course, i've no idea about
C -q for quote
input numbers until i got answer from the mailist.

i also tried to use C-h k M - <num> and C-h k C-<num>, but failed to
get answer.

then,
i tried to find answers through internet, and find little related information.

finally,

I join the list and made a post, and got the satisfied answers

if there is better way (or how should i do the search), plz tell me,
it would help a lot.

Regards.

--

@ 2012-03-12 11:17             ` Thien-Thi Nguyen
From: Thien-Thi Nguyen @ 2012-03-12 11:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: source liu; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

() Thien-Thi Nguyen <ttn@gnuvola.org>
() Fri, 09 Mar 2012 09:05:33 +0100

      got it, thanks for your patience.

      first i tried C - h k C-u,  and get help message.

      of course it gave out some information, but i'm a little dazzled by
      the description.

      ***  part of  C -h k C-u  *****
      Repeating C-u without digits or minus sign
       multiplies the argument by 4 each time.
      For some commands, just C-u by itself serves as a flag
      ***  end of  C -h k C-u  *****

      I may treat the flag "C-u" as a *terminating flag* now since i know
      C-u can be used this way. but at that time i thought nothing of it
      ( even not think of type C -u again) and of course, i've no idea about
      C -q for quote
      input numbers until i got answer from the mailist.

Another way to say that C-u can act as "terminating flag" is this sentence:

 C-u following the digits or minus sign ends the argument.

which follows the previous one:

 Digits or minus sign following C-u make up the numeric argument.

which in turn follows:

 Begin a numeric argument for the following command.

Reading those in order, here is what i think and do:

 Begin a numeric argument for     OK, having typed C-u once, i have
 the following command.           now "begun a numeric argument";
                                  i am now in a new state of input
                                  where i can express that argument
                                  directly to Emacs.

 Digits or minus sign following   Wonderful!  In this new state, if
 C-u make up the numeric          i type digits, they accumulate in
 argument.                        the minibuffer.  I like number 9,
                                  so i type 9 because this argument
                                  is meant to tell the next command
                                  to insert a character that many
                                  times.  Yeah!

 C-u following the digits or      OK, now i want to command Emacs
 minus sign ends the argument.    to insert a char.  Normally i can
                                  simply type the char, thus doing
                                  two actions: flagging termination
                                  (leaving the special input state)
                                  and issuing another (self-insert)
                                  command.  I wonder why this other
                                  C-u invocation is mentioned here.
                                  Hmm, i see that if i type another
                                  digit now, Emacs does NOT do the
                                  right thing (reading my mind).
                                  Stupid Emacs!  I suppose i will
                                  have to separate the actions, and
                                  that's what C-u is for.  Perhaps
                                  i can use it for non-digits, too.
                                  Anyway, let's try: i type C-u and
                                  see it in the minibuffer; i type
                                  9 and see "999999999" inserted in
                                  the buffer.  Good, Emacs may be
                                  stupid but at the very least it
                                  is obedient.

So, one suggestion to avoid being dazzled is to take it easy
and read the help text slowly, exercizing immediately what you
understand (or misunderstand) to keep your feet on the ground.
This is easy because Emacs is interactive, can undo mistakes,
and is obedient (usually :-D).

      i also tried to use C-h k M - <num> and C-h k C-<num>,
      but failed to get answer.

This is because you were moving too quickly, as i did when i
presumed you had read the manual.  See, we all rush needlessly
sometimes.

      then, i tried to find answers through internet, and find
      little related information.

If we converse well, perhaps our exchange here will help someone
else in the future.  But, there is no guarantee.

      finally, I join the list and made a post, and got the
      satisfied answers

Thanks for explaining.

      if there is better way (or how should i do the search), plz
      tell me, it would help a lot.

Well, life is a search, so if you want a better search, live a
better life!

* Re: problem repeat entry for a number
@ 2012-03-13  3:13               ` source liu
From: source liu @ 2012-03-13  3:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thien-Thi Nguyen; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Mon, Mar 12, 2012 at 7:17 PM, Thien-Thi Nguyen <ttn@gnuvola.org> wrote:
> () Thien-Thi Nguyen <ttn@gnuvola.org>
> () Fri, 09 Mar 2012 09:05:33 +0100
>
>      got it, thanks for your patience.
>
>      first i tried C - h k C-u,  and get help message.
>
>      of course it gave out some information, but i'm a little dazzled by
>      the description.
>
>      ***  part of  C -h k C-u  *****
>      Repeating C-u without digits or minus sign
>       multiplies the argument by 4 each time.
>      For some commands, just C-u by itself serves as a flag
>      ***  end of  C -h k C-u  *****
>
>      I may treat the flag "C-u" as a *terminating flag* now since i know
>      C-u can be used this way. but at that time i thought nothing of it
>      ( even not think of type C -u again) and of course, i've no idea about
>      C -q for quote
>      input numbers until i got answer from the mailist.
>
> Another way to say that C-u can act as "terminating flag" is this sentence:
>
>  C-u following the digits or minus sign ends the argument.
>
> which follows the previous one:
>
>  Digits or minus sign following C-u make up the numeric argument.
>
> which in turn follows:
>
>  Begin a numeric argument for the following command.
>
> Reading those in order, here is what i think and do:
>
>  Begin a numeric argument for     OK, having typed C-u once, i have
>  the following command.           now "begun a numeric argument";
>                                  i am now in a new state of input
>                                  where i can express that argument
>                                  directly to Emacs.
>
>  Digits or minus sign following   Wonderful!  In this new state, if
>  C-u make up the numeric          i type digits, they accumulate in
>  argument.                        the minibuffer.  I like number 9,
>                                  so i type 9 because this argument
>                                  is meant to tell the next command
>                                  to insert a character that many
>                                  times.  Yeah!

yes, that's the exact layout in emacs help buffer.

>  C-u following the digits or      OK, now i want to command Emacs
>  minus sign ends the argument.    to insert a char.  Normally i can
>                                  simply type the char, thus doing
>                                  two actions: flagging termination
>                                  (leaving the special input state)
>                                  and issuing another (self-insert)
>                                  command.  I wonder why this other
>                                  C-u invocation is mentioned here.
>                                  Hmm, i see that if i type another
>                                  digit now, Emacs does NOT do the
>                                  right thing (reading my mind).
>                                  Stupid Emacs!  I suppose i will
>                                  have to separate the actions, and
>                                  that's what C-u is for.  Perhaps
>                                  i can use it for non-digits, too.
>                                  Anyway, let's try: i type C-u and
>                                  see it in the minibuffer; i type
>                                  9 and see "999999999" inserted in
>                                  the buffer.  Good, Emacs may be
>                                  stupid but at the very least it
>                                  is obedient.

emmm....  that's the way i think so. as i don't exactly know the
"flag" means, i want to try it out manually,
unfortunately i choose "minus sign" (is that char '-' on keyboard? ),
for i think it's equivalent to "C - u" according to the description
above.

so i type C - u 9 '-' to terminate num args input, but it direct
layout  --------- (nine '-'s) in buffer.

yet i have never tried "C - u" instead of the minus sign '-',  what a
pity that the fact is only several feet away from me.

Thanks so much for the detailed explanation, so grateful and helpful.

> So, one suggestion to avoid being dazzled is to take it easy
> and read the help text slowly, exercizing immediately what you
> understand (or misunderstand) to keep your feet on the ground.
> This is easy because Emacs is interactive, can undo mistakes,
> and is obedient (usually :-D).
>
>      i also tried to use C-h k M - <num> and C-h k C-<num>,
>      but failed to get answer.
>
> This is because you were moving too quickly, as i did when i
> presumed you had read the manual.  See, we all rush needlessly
> sometimes.
>
>      then, i tried to find answers through internet, and find
>      little related information.
>
> If we converse well, perhaps our exchange here will help someone
> else in the future.  But, there is no guarantee.
>
>      finally, I join the list and made a post, and got the
>      satisfied answers
>
> Thanks for explaining.

That's the point, i always want to run before i can walk.  :-D,  at
least i found i wasn't in the mailist, i though i should have be
there.

>      if there is better way (or how should i do the search), plz
>      tell me, it would help a lot.

 Well, life is a search, so if you want a better search, live a
 better life!

excellent argument, applause.

Regards

--

@ 2012-03-13 10:46                 ` Thien-Thi Nguyen
From: Thien-Thi Nguyen @ 2012-03-13 10:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: source liu; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

() source liu <sourceonly@gmail.com>
() Tue, 13 Mar 2012 11:13:55 +0800

   emmm....  that's the way i think so. as i don't exactly know
   the "flag" means, i want to try it out manually, unfortunately
   i choose "minus sign" (is that char '-' on keyboard? ), for i
   think it's equivalent to "C - u" according to the description
   above.

I can see two possible meanings of this sentence:

 C-u following the digits or minus sign ends the argument.

In the first way, we could read it as:

 C-u  following the digits or minus sign  ends the argument.
 ---  ----------------------------------  -----------------
 NP   PREP                                VP

where NP ≡ noun phrase, PREP ≡ prepositional phrase, VP ≡ verb
phrase.  Discarding PREP, the gist of the sentence (NP VP) is:

 C-u  ends the argument.

In the second way, we could read it as:

 C-u  following the digits  or  minus sign  ends the argument.
 ---  --------------------  --  ----------  -----------------
 NP1  PREP                  C   NP2         VP

where C ≡ conjunction.  Discarding PREP, the gist is:

 C-u  or  minus sign  ends the argument.
 ---  --  ----------
 NP1  C   NP2
 -------------------  -----------------
 NP                   VP

I think this is what led you to:

   [...] type C - u 9 '-' to terminate num args input, but it
   direct layout --------- (nine '-'s) in buffer.

   yet i have never tried "C - u" instead of the minus sign '-',
   what a pity that the fact is only several feet away from me.

To a native English speaker, probably the first way above would
seem most natural.  To express the second way, an explicit setup,
commas, and (maybe) an indefinite article, would be used:

 Either  C-u,  following the digits,  or  a minus sign,  ends the argument.
 ------  ---   --------------------   --  ------------   -----------------
 SETUP   NP1   PREP                   C   NP2            VP

Here, SETUP gives a clue that C is forthcoming, the "a" in NP2
gives a clue that "minus sign" is not parallel to "digits" (which
has a definite article "the") and thus is not part of PREP.  Now
this construction is much more verbose and comma-plicated :-D,
and would merit low style marks.  To improve it, one could shift
PREP after NP2, leaving a more idiomatic compound-NP:

 C-u  or  minus sign,  following the digits,  ends the argument.
 ---  --  ----------   --------------------   -----------------
 NP1  C   NP2          PREP                   VP
 -------------------
 NP

Note we drop SETUP, the "a" in NP2, and also one comma.  All
this work just to express well an _incorrect_ description of
the behavior!

So, back to the real problem: Is there anything you would
suggest to the Emacs hackers for the purpose of improving the
text so that it expresses well (unambiguously and in good style)
the _correct_ description (the first way) of the behavior?

   That's the point, i always want to run before i can walk.

That's natural.  In any case, you can run around a lot in Emacs.

* Re: problem repeat entry for a number
@ 2012-03-13 15:34                   ` source liu
From: source liu @ 2012-03-13 15:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thien-Thi Nguyen; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> So, back to the real problem: Is there anything you would
> suggest to the Emacs hackers for the purpose of improving the
> text so that it expresses well (unambiguously and in good style)
> the _correct_ description (the first way) of the behavior?

A mistake can rise up in any different aspects, while a correct one
have few choice. :)

In my point of view, maybe shorter sentences, more itemized threads
for those none English native speakers like me, will lead to fewer
misunderstanding.  yet it may not keep the manual threads simple and
brief any more. Honestly speaking, after your explanation, i realize
it was my fault failed to read the sentence correctly this time.

I think I understand the expression, but I still have a question on,
is there any case of "C-u" following a minus sign?
C-u <num> , here num is either negative or positive,  there is no
minus sign at the end of the <num> argument.

1. here one cant type C - u <num> '-' to get the minus sign as the end
( in this case '-' would be char layout in the buffer).

2. C-u '-' ( the only available case i can figure out,  but i think it
is meaningless) ,  also, type C-u again just start another instant of
num argument input, still different from the case that terminate the
argument input.  (though in minibuff C-u - C-u, but i can't see any
difference between single C - u here)

so, i wonder  why 'the minus sign'  appears in the very sentence.

as a result,

"C-u  following the digits  ends the argument." is enough,

unless someone can show me the necessary of "minus sign" here

I wont be afraid to make another mistake next time if there are any
chances.,  :)

btw, are you one of those so called "emacs hacks"?  cool!!

Thanks again for you patience.

--

@ 2012-03-13 15:49                   ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2012-03-13 15:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Thien-Thi Nguyen', 'source liu'; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> In the first way, we could read it as [correct]:
> C-u (following the digits or minus sign) ends the argument.
> In the second way, we could read it as:
> ((C-u following the digits) or (minus sign)) ends the argument.
> Is there anything you would
> suggest to the Emacs hackers for the purpose of improving the
> text so that it expresses well (unambiguously and in good style)
> the _correct_ description (the first way) of the behavior?

Following the digits or minus sign, C-u ends the argument.

or

If hit again after typing the digits or minus sign, C-u ends the argument.

or

To end the argument, hit C-u after typing the digits or minus sign.

* Re: problem repeat entry for a number
@ 2012-03-14  2:12                     ` source liu
From: source liu @ 2012-03-14  2:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Drew Adams; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs, Thien-Thi Nguyen

On Tue, Mar 13, 2012 at 11:49 PM, Drew Adams <drew.adams@oracle.com> wrote:
>> In the first way, we could read it as [correct]:
>> C-u (following the digits or minus sign) ends the argument.
>> In the second way, we could read it as:
>> ((C-u following the digits) or (minus sign)) ends the argument.
>> Is there anything you would
>> suggest to the Emacs hackers for the purpose of improving the
>> text so that it expresses well (unambiguously and in good style)
>> the _correct_ description (the first way) of the behavior?
>
> Following the digits or minus sign, C-u ends the argument.
>
> or
>
> If hit again after typing the digits or minus sign, C-u ends the argument.
>
> or
>
> To end the argument, hit C-u after typing the digits or minus sign.

Yes, i can follow the sentences at my first glance. but in fact it is
not my first glance on this issue up till now. :)

The style of the 3rd one sounds better to me.

Thanks.

Regards

--

@ 2012-03-14  7:22                     ` Thien-Thi Nguyen
From: Thien-Thi Nguyen @ 2012-03-14  7:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: source liu; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

() source liu <sourceonly@gmail.com>
() Tue, 13 Mar 2012 11:34:34 -0400

   A mistake can rise up in any different aspects, while a correct
   one have few choice. :)

I agree, up to a point.

   In my point of view, maybe shorter sentences, more itemized
   threads for those none English native speakers like me, will
   lead to fewer misunderstanding.  yet it may not keep the manual
   threads simple and brief any more.

OK.

   Honestly speaking, after your explanation, i realize it was my
   fault failed to read the sentence correctly this time.

When there is a problem in communication, finding fault is easy.
When there is a problem in understanding, finding fault is hard.
Anyway, finding fault is only the start of fixing the problem.

   I think I understand the expression, but I still have a
   question on, is there any case of "C-u" following a minus sign?
   C-u <num> , here num is either negative or positive, there is
   no minus sign at the end of the <num> argument.

   1. here one cant type C - u <num> '-' to get the minus sign as
   the end ( in this case '-' would be char layout in the buffer).

Right.

   2. C-u '-' ( the only available case i can figure out, but i
   think it is meaningless) , also, type C-u again just start
   another instant of num argument input, still different from the
   case that terminate the argument input.  (though in minibuff
   C-u - C-u, but i can't see any difference between single C - u
   here)

Sometimes right, sometimes wrong, sometimes no matter.  Consider:

 (defun p-try (&optional arg)
   "Show ARG in the echo area, as by (interactive \"p\")."
   (interactive "p")
   (message "arg is: %S" arg))

 (defun P-try (&optional arg)
   "Show ARG in the echo area, as by (interactive \"P\")."
   (interactive "P")
   (message "arg is: %S" arg))

 (global-set-key [(shift return)] 'p-try)
 (global-set-key [(meta  return)] 'P-try)

If you evaluate these forms in *scratch*, you can try the
following experiments:

1. S-RET
2. C-u S-RET
3. C-u - S-RET
4. C-u - C-u S-RET
(and so on)

You will find that a lone minus sign has meaning sometimes.
For more information, type:
- C-h f interactive RET
- C-h f - RET

Furthermore, each command chooses the way it handles the argument
supplied by C-u (if any).  When you write new commands, it is good
practice to mention this (to avoid the (lack of) communication
problem :-D).

   so, i wonder  why 'the minus sign'  appears in the very sentence.

   as a result,

   "C-u  following the digits  ends the argument." is enough,

   unless someone can show me the necessary of "minus sign" here

C-u is a way to supply qualified numerical information, and not
only numerical.  Perhaps someone who knows its history can explain
how it evolved to its present functionality.

   I wont be afraid to make another mistake next time if there are
   any chances., :)

Cool.

   btw, are you one of those so called "emacs hacks"?  cool!!

I am a student of Emacs.

   Thanks again for you patience.

Thanks for the opportunity to spew.  :-D

* Re: problem repeat entry for a number
@ 2012-03-14  8:46                       ` source liu
From: source liu @ 2012-03-14  8:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thien-Thi Nguyen; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

>  (defun p-try (&optional arg)
>   "Show ARG in the echo area, as by (interactive \"p\")."
>   (interactive "p")
>   (message "arg is: %S" arg))
>
>  (defun P-try (&optional arg)
>   "Show ARG in the echo area, as by (interactive \"P\")."
>   (interactive "P")
>   (message "arg is: %S" arg))
>
>  (global-set-key [(shift return)] 'p-try)
>  (global-set-key [(meta  return)] 'P-try)
>
> If you evaluate these forms in *scratch*, you can try the
> following experiments:
>
> 1. S-RET
> 2. C-u S-RET
> 3. C-u - S-RET
> 4. C-u - C-u S-RET
> (and so on)

Interesting example, maybe i could start my survey of elisp from here.
Here 4th cases the 2nd C -u serves as mutiple by 4.  Right?

> C-u is a way to supply qualified numerical information, and not
> only numerical.  Perhaps someone who knows its history can explain
> how it evolved to its present functionality.

Got it.  no more questions on this topic for now.

> I am a student of Emacs.

You are modest!

> Thanks for the opportunity to spew.  :-D

did it feel more purify of yourself after spew? :-D