all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Tuningo f compile mode
@ 2013-07-17  9:41 Sergei Kolomeeyets
From: Sergei Kolomeeyets @ 2013-07-17  9:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello, all!
When I press M-` or M-x compile Emacs split the main window vertically to
show  a compile buffer. It is very inconvenient. How can I change it to
horizontal splitting like C-x-1?

Regards,
Sergey Kolomiets,
Moscow

* Re: Tuningo f compile mode
       [not found] <mailman.1266.1374075873.12400.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2013-07-17 16:12 ` Rustom Mody
From: Rustom Mody @ 2013-07-17 16:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Wednesday, July 17, 2013 3:11:14 PM UTC+5:30, Sergei Kolomeeyets wrote:
> Hello, all!
> When I press M-` or M-x compile Emacs split the main window vertically to
> show  a compile buffer. It is very inconvenient. How can I change it to
> horizontal splitting like C-x-1?

Try something along this line
You may need to play with compile-command

(defun my-compile ()
  (interactive)
  (let ((split-height-threshold nil)
	(split-width-threshold 80))
    (compile compile-command)))

* Re: Tuningo f compile mode
@ 2013-07-17 18:13 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2013-07-17 18:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sergei Kolomeeyets; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 17.07.2013 um 11:41 schrieb Sergei Kolomeeyets:

> When I press M-` or M-x compile Emacs split the main window vertically to
> show  a compile buffer. It is very inconvenient.

It is very convenient. I like it this way.

> How can I change it to horizontal splitting like C-x-1?

Horizontal splitting would occur when GNU Emacs' frame is wide enough that two buffers side by side are so wide that text can be displayed in reasonably long lines. So by default the variable split-width-threshold has a value greater than 100, could be it's 160. By reducing that value it becomes more likely that insanely narrow windows are created.

	split-width-threshold is a variable defined in `window.el'.

	Documentation:
	Minimum width for splitting windows sensibly.
	If this is an integer, `split-window-sensibly' may split a window
	horizontally only if it has at least this many columns.  If this
	is nil, `split-window-sensibly' is not allowed to split a window
	horizontally.

See also split-height-threshold.

--
Greetings

  Pete

If it dies, it's biology.  If it blows up, it's chemistry. If it doesn't work, it's physics.
			– University washroom sgraffito

* Re: Tuningo f compile mode
@ 2013-07-21 11:43   ` Sergei Kolomeeyets
From: Sergei Kolomeeyets @ 2013-07-21 11:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Dyballa; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Hi, Peter,
Thanks a lot for your answer! The line (setq split-width-threshold nil)
inserted into ~/.emacs - has cured the problem.
By the way:
1. Everything indicated that I confused the adjectives 'vertical' and
'horizontal' writing about splitting. It was my native Russian concepts of
how to describe splitting that 'helped' me ;-) Of course, I complained
about an inconvenient _horizontal_ splitting trying to find a way to
recover 'normal' and convenient vertical windows.
2. The problem came to the scene after I had made a console font  a bit
smaller (12 instead of default 14). Despite having 160 as
split-width-threshold value, emacs makes two horizontal windows of about
80-100 characters. So it is supposed to be normal for emacs - while
splitting windows horizontally - to split a line of 160 characters into two
lines that consist of 80.

Again thanks!

Regards,
Sergey.