all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Re: file dependency list for emacs 24.5 on RHEL
@ 2016-01-08 14:13 ` tomas
From: tomas @ 2016-01-08 14:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

* file dependency list for emacs 24.5 on RHEL
@ 2016-01-08 14:25 Dahvyd Wing
From: Dahvyd Wing @ 2016-01-08 14:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi All,

I've asked my system admin to install emacs 24.5 on my university's
computing farm which uses RHEL. He needs to know what the file dependencies
are for the emacs. I've looked around and I can't find a list. How do you
find a list of dependencies for emacs?

Thanks,
Dahvyd

* Re: file dependency list for emacs 24.5 on RHEL
       [not found] <mailman.1974.1452263829.843.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2016-01-09 16:57 ` Dan Espen
From: Dan Espen @ 2016-01-09 16:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Dahvyd Wing <dahvyd.wing@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi All,
>
> I've asked my system admin to install emacs 24.5 on my university's
> computing farm which uses RHEL. He needs to know what the file dependencies
> are for the emacs.

I doubt this.

> I've looked around and I can't find a list. How do you
> find a list of dependencies for emacs?

You use the package manager and it automatically finds and installs
any dependencies.

--
Dan Espen

* Re: file dependency list for emacs 24.5 on RHEL
@ 2016-01-11  6:58   ` Alexis
From: Alexis @ 2016-01-11  6:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan Espen; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Dan Espen <despen@verizon.net> writes:

> Dahvyd Wing <dahvyd.wing@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I've asked my system admin to install emacs 24.5 on my
>> university's computing farm which uses RHEL. He needs to know
>> what the file dependencies are for the emacs.
>
> I doubt this.
>
>> I've looked around and I can't find a list. How do you find a
>> list of dependencies for emacs?
>
> You use the package manager and it automatically finds and
> installs any dependencies.

Well, the most recent version of CentOS only has Emacs 24.3:

http://mirror.centos.org/centos/7.2.1511/os/x86_64/Packages/

My guess is that this iss an upper bound on what versions of Emacs
are provided by RHEL, assuming the latter doesn't have some sort
of Debian-like 'backports' repo. If that's so, then 24.5 might
need to be manually compiled, hence the request for a list of
dependencies.

Perhaps one could install the latest available Emacs source RPM,
and examine which library dependencies get pulled in? That might
list many, if not most, of the dependencies - at least in terms of
library /names/, since the version numbers required for 24.5 might
be different.

i'm not a user of RHEL or CentOS, though. :-)

Alexis.