Eli Zaretskii schrieb am Sa., 23. Dez. 2017 um 14:44 Uhr: > > From: Philipp Stephani > > Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2017 12:33:46 +0000 > > Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org, phst@google.com > > > > This patch only improves the error symbol when trying to serialize a > non-Unicode string to JSON. Right now > > this raises "out of memory", which is somewhat confusing. This patch > improves this to raise > > "wrong-type-argument". > > OK, but why do we need external functions for doing that? What is > missing in our own code to detect such a situation? > Not much I think, it's just easiest to use Gnulib functions because they are well-documented, have a clean interface, and are probably bug-free. coding.c has check_utf_8, which is quite similar, but has an incompatible interface (it takes struct coding_system objects) and also checks for embedded newlines, which isn't necessary here.