Robert Pluim schrieb am Fr., 12. Jan. 2018 um 14:58 Uhr: > Eli Zaretskii writes: > > >> OK. But if we stop supporting GTK at some point, what ends up being > >> its replacement? I doubt we'll be able to support Lucid and Motif > >> forever, given that X is going to be replaced with Wayland. > > > > We should indeed move to supporting Wayland natively; volunteers are > > most welcome to work on that. The Cairo support was supposed to be > > the first step in that direction, but it has known bugs and needs a > > lot of loving care for us to be able to turn it on by default. > > Working on this requires to have experts on board that we > > unfortunately don't seem to have at this time, and that gap bothers me > > personally quite a lot, because I think it's a serious threat to > > Emacs's future. > > I'm unclear as to how we could 'support Wayland natively' without > using some kind of toolkit for menus, scrollbars, etc. > We would support Wayland by using GTK+ correctly. GTK+ already supports Wayland; we just need to get rid of the weird GTK+/X hybrid, and write a proper GTK+-only "terminal".