Eli Zaretskii schrieb am Di., 6. Sep. 2016 um 20:00 Uhr: > > From: Philippe Vaucher > > Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2016 19:46:47 +0200 > > Cc: Paul Eggert , p.stephani2@gmail.com, > 23529@debbugs.gnu.org > > > > >> My idea is pretty simple: just output the objects as a C file, then > > >> compile and link the file. > > > > > > So we will be giving up the ability of end-users to re-dump their > > > Emacs, unless they have a compiler/binutils installed that are > > > compatible with the ones used to build the Emacs binary? > > > > I doubt many end-users are aware of this feature, let alone use it. > > Rarely used is not the same as useless and unneeded. Whenever you > remove a feature, expect someone to come up with complaints about > regressions. > If we care enough about this feature, then instead of writing C code we can write some portable serialization format (e.g. protobuf). That will be a bit slower, but that might be OK.