Paul Eggert schrieb am Mo., 2. Mai 2016 um 18:05 Uhr: > Thanks for the bug report and patch, but I ran into a problem with the > patch. Suppose I do this: > > emacs -Q > M-x electric-quote-mode > M-x customize-variable RET electric-quote-string, set it to t, save > M-x python-mode > 'abc' > > That is, I type apostrophe-a-b-c-apostrophe in Python mode. With the > patch, the buffer will contain: > > 'abc’ > > The opening apostrophe is OK, but the closing apostrophe is considered > to be inside a string so it is transmogrified into a right single > quotation mark. A Python programmer would want both to be apostrophes. > I'm not sure, I think if a user has electric-quote-string enabled, that's the behavior they want, because it's inside a string. However, I can see that both approaches are valid. There is probably no good way that would work in all circumstances.