Paul Eggert schrieb am Do., 3. März 2016 um 17:11 Uhr: > On 03/02/2016 09:47 PM, Lars Ingebrigtsen wrote: > > And then I thought -- well, if we should have a literal syntax for > > Unicode control characters, why not for all of them? > Something like that would make sense. The escape sequence should bracket > the name, so that the escape sequences could be used in strings without > ambiguity. Something like \u[NAME], say. > > I'd still prefer to use characters as-is in strings if they're > displayable, e.g., the Lisp string: > > "Use Greek capital letters (Α–Ω) to denote figures." > > is more readable than: > > "Use Greek capital letters (\u[GREEK CAPITAL LETTER ALPHA]\u[EN > DASH]\u[GREEK CAPITAL LETTER OMEGA]) to denote figures." > > But for undisplayable or hard-to-read characters the escape sequence > would be a win. > > More issues: should we insist on the full official name? should we allow > obsolescent aliases? lower-case instead of upper case? initial prefixes > of names? > > We should probably do whatever Perl does ( http://perldoc.perl.org/charnames.html). I haven't checked in detail what is allowed by Perl (except that it allows \N{name} and \N{U+code}), but it would be simpler to just adopt Perl's behavior (to a reasonable extend) than trying to come up with our own syntax.