Jordon Biondo schrieb am Mo., 30. Jan. 2017 um 19:39 Uhr: > A while ago I brought up the inconstant signatures of `setq`, > `setq-default` and `setq-local`. In short, I want `setq-local` to have the > same signature as `setq` and `setq-local`. (setq* VAR VAL VAR VAL...) > > See thread: > http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2015-03/msg00448.html > > I appreciate Stefan's input back then, but I'd like to revisit the issue, > get further input, and see if I can change some minds about the issue. > > If you believe the variadic signature of `setq` and `setq-default` is not > ideal, consider that backwards compatibility erases any chance that those > two functions will lose that feature, and consider the benefits of being > consistently wrong over being inconsistently right. > > Are maintainers and users still opposed to this change? If not I'd be > happy to update the patch from the previous thread. > As a user, I'm still opposed to this change. I don't think consistency is important enough in this case to justify the "worse" signature. Consistency is not a goal in itself, but should serve the goal to increase readability and lower the barriers for new contributors. I don't think that the simpler signature of setq-local is in any way confusing because of this inconsistency.