Adrian Robert schrieb am Di., 29. März 2016 um 19:19 Uhr: > > On 2016.3.29, at 19:57, Eli Zaretskii wrote: > > >> From: Philipp Stephani > >> Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2016 16:38:52 +0000 > >> Cc: 19977@debbugs.gnu.org > >> > >> If I comment out the if block below the comment > >> > >> /* if super (default), take input manager's word so things like > >> dvorak / qwerty layout work */ > >> > >> in nsterm.m, everything works. Unless somebody can explain why that if > block exists at all (i.e. why > >> [theEvent characters] instead of [theEvent charactersIgnoringModifiers] > is used), then I'd suggest to > >> remove the block completely. > >> > >> Attached a patch to remove this code. > > > > Adrian, any comments? It's your code from 7 years ago. > > > Heh, well of the top of my head… ;-) > > Did you try testing Dvorak / Qwerty layout? If not, that’s under System > Preferences, Keyboard, add new, English, select Dvorak or Dvorak / Qwerty. > > From what I remember, the issue had to do with cmd-key shortcuts when one > of those layouts was in use. I think users were expecting the letter > reported for the cmd shortcut to either agree with or disagree with the > dvorak layout. Using [theEvent characters] caused it to use what they were > expecting. > > It sounds like either this wasn’t the right solution, or user expectations > vary. In either case I would agree with simplifying the code and removing > the part you suggest. > > Yes, I can see what the problem is, thanks for the pointer. Basically in a couple of layouts (there are others, e.g. "Gujarati - QUERTY"), Command acts as shift-like character, like Option and Shift, selecting a different character, and not as a control-like character. For Option, Emacs allows switching between shift-like and control-like behavior using the `ns-alternate-modifier' option. The same should be implemented for Command. However, the code for `ns-alternate-modifier' is also somewhat broken. If it's set to 'none, C-M- doesn't work any more. This needs a bit more thought. What exactly is supposed to happen if both a shift-like and a control-like modifier are pressed at the same time? Emacs is inconsistent here: C-S-a remains C-S-a, but M-S-a gets translated to M-A.