Clément Pit-Claudel schrieb am So., 2. Juli 2017 um 19:26 Uhr: > On 2017-07-02 12:54, Noam Postavsky wrote: > > On Sun, Jul 2, 2017 at 12:32 PM, Clément Pit-Claudel > > wrote: > >>> Why would we need a new function since %n$ would be an error for the > old format anyway? > >> > >> This in itself is a good reason to have a new function. A new function > lets you migrate existing code, including plugins, to the new syntax, and > load the polyfill in older Emacsen. A new syntax that causes errors in old > Emacsen isn't usable by anyone outside of Emacs core, for fear of > compatibility problems. > > > > We can still give a new name I suppose. > > I think it would be nice, if we also write a polyfill. If we don't intend > to write one, then there's probably no point. > We can't write a polyfill, just like browser developers can't write polyfills (if they do so, it's just normal functionality). Third-party library authors can write polyfills, of course, if they want.