Drew Adams schrieb am Mi., 23. Nov. 2016 um 17:35 Uhr: > > >> the docstring created by define-minor-mode with nil DOC is useful > > >> and often better than what users write. > > >> Should DOC therefore be optional? > > > > > > Not sure we would like to educate Lisp programmers to stop > > > thinking about good doc strings. > > > > I agree. > > Me too. And definers of user-facing things, such as > defcustom and defface, do require DOC. Other definers, > such as defconst and defvar, do not require it. > > On the other hand, OP raises a real issue, I think. > > I'd be in favor of (somehow) automatically having the > definer-provided DOC be augmented by a link that shows > the generic `define-minor-mode' doc, or similar. > > IOW: > > 1. Definers should need to provide a DOC string (even if > they can fake it with "", which is not encouraged). > > 2. Users of the mode should have access to the generic > information also. It should be sufficient that the > DOC in the definition provides mode-specific information. > It should not need to tell users general things about > using a minor mode. > That sounds like a good approach.