Thanks Eli I will look at those lists a bit later On Mon, Dec 4, 2023 at 19:31 Eli Zaretskii wrote: > > From: jamesaorson@gmail.com > > Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2023 16:06:05 -0800 > > > > I have, for a long time, been looking for a meaningfully project to > create, but I’ve come to realize that this is seemingly what everyone is > doing, and instead I have decided it would be more helpful to others to > work on an existing and well respected tool (like emacs). > > > > On top of that, it will work to humble me as I read the code of RMS and > others before me who made and are still making emacs what it is today. > > > > I intend to devote the great majority of my leisure programming time to > emacs development, and see how that goes after a few years. I have a stable > job and don’t see this as just some resume fodder, but just want to > continue to improve and start to also contribute. > > Thank you. > > > Before I pursue those things myself, what are the best ways to get > involved in emacs at the current moment? I know I can look at the open > TODOs and bugs for emacs today and I will definitely do so, but what is > most likely to actually provide some benefit right now? Say there was some > large effort being worked on that EVERYTHING else is sort of being tabled > for. I would not want to run off and do something contradictory to that > work, etc. > > I suggest to subscribe to the bug-gnu-emacs mailing list and see if > any bugs reported there are something you could investigate and try > fixing. > > There's also etc/TODO, which lists some ideas for improving Emacs. >