On Tue, Jun 5, 2018 at 10:38 AM, Douglas Lewan wrote: > Michael, > > Thanks for the pointers. I'll have a look when I get a few minutes. > > On Tue, Jun 5, 2018 at 9:44 AM, Michael Albinus > wrote: > >> Douglas Lewan writes: >> >> Hi Doug, >> >> > Indeed. I'd be more than happy to surrender to work to someone who can >> > provide a simpler implementation. I don't happen to know GVFS or >> > libarchive or the question of how to bind lisp to a C library. >> >> Thanks for the offer. At first step, you might just try the >> tramp-archive solution, and provide feedback about usability (nobody did >> so far). Just open a file like "/path/to/file.cpio/", and play with >> it. The point is the trailing slash. You could open even compressed >> archives, like ".../file.cpio.gz/". >> >> For knowing libarchive and binding Lisp to a C library ... all of this I >> didn't know either when starting to contribute to Emacs. I've learned it >> by doing, which seems the only way to do it :-) >> >> > In the meantime, cpio-mode looks usable now for the archives it >> > supports. What remains is testing and polish. I would very much >> > appreciate testing from anyone who can help with it. >> >> I have written test/lisp/net/tramp-archive-tests.el for such >> purposes. Maybe you can steal some ideas or code from there ... >> >> And of course, you could ask me whatever you want about. >> >> > Thanks. >> >> Best regards, Michael. >> > > Michael, So far, I've downloaded source for emacs 26.1 and built it (in a somewhat hobbled development environment -- no X development, no image support, without gnutls). I've loaded tramp and url-tramp and opened test files (with names ending in '.cpio). All I get is "File not found and directory is write-protected". I assume I'm missing something. Can you help? Also, a quick look suggests that libarchive may not be universally available. I'm a big fan of portability, if it's possible, so, if that's the case, then I might prefer to avoid it. Any thoughts? -- ,Doug Douglas Lewan (908) 720-7908 Member of the PKRA.