all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Email "cut here" code snippets
@ 2015-01-29 12:06 Tory S. Anderson
From: Tory S. Anderson @ 2015-01-29 12:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs list

I use GNUs and notice that some people include "---8<-- cut here" type snippets, which are specially formatted in my view. Where can I find this behavior documented, and is there a predefined shortcut for inserting these? I haven't spotted anything on it in the GNUs manual or online searches.

* Re: Email "cut here" code snippets
@ 2015-01-29 13:26 ` Rainer M Krug
       [not found] ` <mailman.18902.1422538022.1147.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Rainer M Krug @ 2015-01-29 13:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tory S. Anderson; +Cc: emacs list

torys.anderson@gmail.com (Tory S. Anderson) writes:

> I use GNUs and notice that some people include "---8<-- cut here" type
> snippets, which are specially formatted in my view. Where can I find
> this behavior documented, and is there a predefined shortcut for
> inserting these? I haven't spotted anything on it in the GNUs manual
> or online searches.

It is in message.el:

,----
| message-mark-inserted-region is an interactive compiled Lisp function
| in `message.el'.
|
| It is bound to C-c m.
|
| (message-mark-inserted-region BEG END &optional VERBATIM)
|
| Mark some region in the current article with enclosing tags.
| See `message-mark-insert-begin' and `message-mark-insert-end'.
| If VERBATIM, use slrn style verbatim marks ("#v+" and "#v-").
`----

I think I defined the keyboard shortcut myself.

Hope this helps,

Rainer

--
Rainer M. Krug
email: Rainer<at>krugs<dot>de

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Email "cut here" code snippets
       [not found]   ` <mailman.18902.1422538022.1147.help-gnu-emacs-mXXj517/zsQ@public.gmane.org>
@ 2015-01-29 13:28     ` Sebastien Vauban
From: Sebastien Vauban @ 2015-01-29 13:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rainer M Krug; +Cc: emacs list

Rainer M Krug wrote:
> torys.anderson-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org (Tory S. Anderson) writes:
>
>> I use GNUs and notice that some people include "---8<-- cut here" type
>> snippets, which are specially formatted in my view. Where can I find
>> this behavior documented, and is there a predefined shortcut for
>> inserting these? I haven't spotted anything on it in the GNUs manual
>> or online searches.
>
> It is in message.el:
>
> ,----
> | message-mark-inserted-region is an interactive compiled Lisp function
> | in `message.el'.
> |
> | It is bound to C-c m.
> `----
>
> I think I defined the keyboard shortcut myself.

C-c M-m is the default one.

Best regards,
  Seb

--
Sebastien Vauban

@ 2015-01-29 13:30 ` Glyn Millington
From: Glyn Millington @ 2015-01-29 13:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

torys.anderson@gmail.com (Tory S. Anderson) writes:

> I use GNUs and notice that some people include "---8<-- cut here" type
> snippets, which are specially formatted in my view. Where can I find
> this behavior documented, and is there a predefined shortcut for
> inserting these? I haven't spotted anything on it in the GNUs manual or
> online searches.

I have had this in my init.el/.emacs for ever!  It's not mine and I can't
remember where it came from but it works

;;;; SCISSORS
(defvar scissors "8<------"
  "string to insert in \\[scissors]")

(defun scissors ()
  "Insert a line of SCISSORS in the buffer"
  (interactive)
  (or (bolp) (beginning-of-line 2))
  (while (<= (current-column) (- (or fill-column 70) (length scissors)))
    (insert scissors))
  (newline))

(bind-key "s-s" 'scissors)

hth

Glyn

* Re: Email "cut here" code snippets
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2015-01-29 13:46 ` Marcin Borkowski
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2015-01-29 13:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs list

On 2015-01-29, at 13:06, Tory S. Anderson <torys.anderson@gmail.com> wrote:

> I use GNUs and notice that some people include "---8<-- cut here" type snippets, which are specially formatted in my view. Where can I find this behavior documented, and is there a predefined shortcut for inserting these? I haven't spotted anything on it in the GNUs manual or online searches.

Did you try C-c M-m in message mode (message-mark-inserted-region)?

Hth,

--
Marcin Borkowski
Adam Mickiewicz University

* Re: Email "cut here" code snippets
@ 2015-01-30 22:01   ` Grant Rettke
From: Grant Rettke @ 2015-01-30 22:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: glyn.millington; +Cc: Emacs Help

Me, too.

(defun gcr/chs ()
  "Insert opening \"cut here start\" snippet."
  (interactive)

(defun gcr/che ()
  "Insert closing \"cut here end\" snippet."
  (interactive)

One more person confesses and one of us will turn it into a package.

--
Grant Rettke
gcr@wisdomandwonder.com | http://www.wisdomandwonder.com/