all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Cannot connect to some hosts using tramp
@ 2014-04-15 13:12 Angus Comber
From: Angus Comber @ 2014-04-15 13:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs Help

I have a number of unix hosts which I need to connect to which are all
located within our company LAN.

Some hosts I can connect to, others I can't for some reason.

I am using emacs 23.3.1.

I connect like this:

m-x tramp to get started (without this I find it doesn't work for ANY host).

c-x c-f //host:file

Then prompted for a password.

It works for a solaris box here but not a red hat linux host.

Any ideas why this might not be working?  Any config I can do to help?

* Re: Cannot connect to some hosts using tramp
@ 2014-04-15 14:22 ` Michael Albinus
From: Michael Albinus @ 2014-04-15 14:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Angus Comber; +Cc: Emacs Help

Angus Comber <anguscomber@gmail.com> writes:

Hi Angus,

> Any ideas why this might not be working?  Any config I can do to help?

Perform (setq tramp-verbose 6)

Rerun your (failed) test. There will be a Tramp debug buffer, which tells.
Show it.

Best regards, Michael.

* Re: Cannot connect to some hosts using tramp
@ 2014-04-15 14:24 ` Grant Rettke
From: Grant Rettke @ 2014-04-15 14:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Angus Comber; +Cc: Emacs Help

Diagnosis questions:

01. May you traceroute from box A to box B without Tramp or an ssh config
and user id X?
02. May you ssh from box A to box B without Tramp or an ssh config and user
id X?
03. May you ssh from box A to box B without Tramp but using a ssh
config and user id X?
04. May you ssh from box A to box B with Tramp but using a ssh config and
user id X?

Grant Rettke | AAAS, ACM, AMA, COG, FSF, IEEE, Sigma Xi
grettke@acm.org | http://www.wisdomandwonder.com/
“Wisdom begins in wonder.” --Socrates
((λ (x) (x x)) (λ (x) (x x)))
“Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop
taking it seriously.” --Thompson

@ 2014-04-15 14:56   ` Angus Comber
From: Angus Comber @ 2014-04-15 14:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Albinus; +Cc: Emacs Help

Hi

How do I find the tramp log.  *Messages* buffer contents:

6
Opening FTP connection to uk-rhel53qa32...

That was after

(setq tramp-verbose 6) c-x c-e

c-x c-f /uk-rhel53qa32:myextract.txt

Also tried:

/acomber:uk-rhel53qa32:myextract.txt

But same result.

Just see Opening FTP connection to uk-rhel53qa32... - for a long long long
time

@ 2014-04-15 15:44     ` Grant Rettke
From: Grant Rettke @ 2014-04-15 15:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Angus Comber; +Cc: Emacs Help, Michael Albinus

Angus please post some details about what exactly you tried, from
where, using what, and what happened.

@ 2014-04-15 17:28     ` Michael Albinus
From: Michael Albinus @ 2014-04-15 17:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Angus Comber; +Cc: Emacs Help

Angus Comber <anguscomber@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi

Hi Angus,

> How do I find the tramp log. *Messages* buffer contents:
>
> 6
> Opening FTP connection to uk-rhel53qa32...
>
> That was after
>
> (setq tramp-verbose 6) c-x c-e
>
> c-x c-f /uk-rhel53qa32:myextract.txt
>
> Also tried:
>
> /acomber:uk-rhel53qa32:myextract.txt
>
> But same result.
>
> Just see Opening FTP connection to uk-rhel53qa32... - for a long long
> long time

Well, opening an FTQ connection might not be what you want. Do you have
some Tramp settings in your .emacs, which makes ftp the default connection?

What happens, if you open "/ssh:uk-rhel53qa32:myextract.txt" (I assume
you want to use ssh)?

And what do you want to get with "/acomber:uk-rhel53qa32:myextract.txt"?
That's not a valid Tramp file name, I guess you mean
"/ssh:acomber@uk-rhel53qa32:myextract.txt".

Best regards, Michael.

* Re: Cannot connect to some hosts using tramp
@ 2014-04-16  8:49       ` Angus Comber
From: Angus Comber @ 2014-04-16  8:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Albinus; +Cc: Emacs Help

I would really like to get this to work.

I have no special tramp config in my emacs file.  So I could play with
that.  I did have a go with various options but nothing seemed to work.

I am wondering if I need to set a default username in putty?  I have seen
notes on Pageant???  Maybe I need to configure or do something with that.

I am also on a fairly old version of emacs, 23.3.1, so I can try the latest
version.  I did try that too, and for some reason it looked like default
was to use FTP because I always so a message indicating FTP was being used.

And I am running Windows which probably doesn't help either, Windows 7.
 Can't do anything about that though.

Any suggestions as good places to start would be greatly appreciated.

Angus

@ 2014-04-16  9:03         ` Michael Albinus
From: Michael Albinus @ 2014-04-16  9:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Angus Comber; +Cc: Emacs Help

Angus Comber <anguscomber@gmail.com> writes:

Hi Angus,

> I would really like to get this to work.

Me too :-)

> I am wondering if I need to set a default username in putty? I have
> seen notes on Pageant??? Maybe I need to configure or do something
> with that.

Not needed. All information could be in the file name.

> I am also on a fairly old version of emacs, 23.3.1, so I can try the
> latest version. I did try that too, and for some reason it looked like
> default was to use FTP because I always so a message indicating FTP
> was being used.

That's strange, yes. But if you set the method in the file name, it
shouldn't matter what's the default.

> And I am running Windows which probably doesn't help either, Windows
> 7. Can't do anything about that though.

Well, personally I don't use MS Windows. But there are people using
Tramp on this, so it shall be possible :-)

> Any suggestions as good places to start would be greatly appreciated.

First try to use a full remote path name, as proposed already. Since you
are using PuTTY, the path name might be
"/plink:acomber@uk-rhel53qa32:myextract.txt"

What happens, if you open a file like this (without the double quotes,
of course)?

> Angus

Best regards, Michael.

* Re: Cannot connect to some hosts using tramp
@ 2014-04-16 16:02           ` Angus Comber
From: Angus Comber @ 2014-04-16 16:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Albinus, Emacs Help

This is what I tried:

m-x tramp

c-x c-f /plink:acomber@uk-rhel53qa32:myextract.txt

Then I was prompted for my password.  I entered password and get these odd
messages in *scratch*:

Invalid help command foo.
open plink
Unknown host plink.
Invalid help command foo.
open plink
Unknown host plink.

I am not sure what the bar is called in Emacs but the grey bar at the foot
of Emacs says:

-1\**-   *ftp acomber@plink*    All L7    (Internal Ange-ftp:no
process)-------------

Angus

@ 2014-04-16 18:53             ` Michael Albinus
From: Michael Albinus @ 2014-04-16 18:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Angus Comber; +Cc: Emacs Help

Angus Comber <anguscomber@gmail.com> writes:

> This is what I tried:
>
> m-x tramp

??? There is no command `tramp' ...

> c-x c-f /plink:acomber@uk-rhel53qa32:myextract.txt
>
> Then I was prompted for my password. I entered password and get these
> odd messages in *scratch*:
>
> Invalid help command foo.
> open plink
> Unknown host plink.
> Invalid help command foo.
> open plink
> Unknown host plink.
>
> I am not sure what the bar is called in Emacs but the grey bar at the
> foot of Emacs says:
>
> -1\**- *ftp acomber@plink* All L7 (Internal Ange-ftp:no
> process)-------------

That means definitely, that ange-ftp's entries in
file-name-handler-alist are active. They shouldn't.

Let's start from scratch: Start a new Emacs with "emacs -Q". This
prevents all user defined settings. In that new Emacs, open a file

c-x c-f /plink:acomber@uk-rhel53qa32:myextract.txt

Does this work?

> Angus

Best regards, Michael.

* Re: Cannot connect to some hosts using tramp
@ 2014-04-17  9:11               ` Angus Comber
From: Angus Comber @ 2014-04-17  9:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Albinus; +Cc: Emacs Help

Hmmm, yes that works.

But I have nothing in my init.el file which seems to be related to tramp.
 However, I renamed my init.el file and tried without the -Q and it also
worked.

And it also now works without the plink.  Eg /acomber@uk-rhel53qa32: works.

Thanks.  I will play about re-adding extracts of my init.el file to find
out what screws it up.

@ 2014-04-17  9:52                 ` Michael Albinus
From: Michael Albinus @ 2014-04-17  9:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Angus Comber; +Cc: Emacs Help

Angus Comber <anguscomber@gmail.com> writes:

> Hmmm, yes that works.

Great!

> But I have nothing in my init.el file which seems to be related to
> tramp. However, I renamed my init.el file and tried without the -Q and
> it also worked.
>
> And it also now works without the plink. Eg /acomber@uk-rhel53qa32:
> works.

Yes, because plink (or pscp, it depends) is the default method under MS
Windows.

> Thanks. I will play about re-adding extracts of my init.el file to
> find out what screws it up.

Yep. Bisecting might be the fastest approach. Maybe you could also
report then, what was the reason for the pain ...

Best regards, Michael.

* Re: Cannot connect to some hosts using tramp
@ 2014-04-17 15:13               ` Robert Thorpe
From: Robert Thorpe @ 2014-04-17 15:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Albinus; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> Angus Comber <anguscomber@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> This is what I tried:
>>
>> m-x tramp
>
> ??? There is no command `tramp' ...

I think what's happening here is that the command "tramp-unload-tramp"
is autoloaded.  On my Emacs it's the only command beginning with
"tramp".  In that case if you do "M-x tramp RET" minibuffer completion
will expand it to "tramp-unload-tramp".  This may be a quirk of my config though.

BR,
Robert Thorpe

* Re: Cannot connect to some hosts using tramp
@ 2014-04-17 17:07                 ` Angus Comber
From: Angus Comber @ 2014-04-17 17:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Albinus; +Cc: Emacs Help

Some feedback

It might have been me being dumb...

The first examples I saw for this specified:  /<host>:<file>  which I used.

But that doesn't work, for me anyway, although it is possible you can
configure a default username somehow.

So I can leave my emacs file as is - it seems the part I was missing was
adding the username.

As does /<username>@<host>:  - where I get a directory listing.

You are prompted for a password of course.