all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Personal approach for collecting Emacs usage statistics advice?
@ 2014-07-02 17:12 Grant Rettke
From: Grant Rettke @ 2014-07-02 17:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs Help

Hi,

Lately I've been curious whether or not my actual Emacs keymapping
usage actually reflects how I think
I use it. What I mean is that I have a goal of mapping frequently used
operations to easily-accessible keybindings on the keyboard. What I
plan to do is to record my usage so that I can study it to find
mapping
decisions that I got right, and wrong, and also identify things that I
use that I should be mapping closer to home.

The simplest approach would be to use a keylogger, or advice inside of Emacs.

What I am curious about is your approach if you had done, or would do,
something like this, and your thoughts an ideas.

In my case I lay out my mappings for how far away from home they are,
and that has worked well so far, but I would like some numbers to back
up that claim though it is not too serious depending upon how you look
at it.

Kind regards,

Grant Rettke | ACM, ASA, FSF, IEEE, SIAM
gcr@wisdomandwonder.com | http://www.wisdomandwonder.com/
“Wisdom begins in wonder.” --Socrates
((λ (x) (x x)) (λ (x) (x x)))
“Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop
taking it seriously.” --Thompson

* Re: Personal approach for collecting Emacs usage statistics advice?
       [not found] <mailman.4740.1404321169.1147.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2014-07-02 18:39 ` Dan.Espen
       [not found]   ` <mailman.4756.1404331931.1147.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Dan.Espen @ 2014-07-02 18:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Grant Rettke <gcr@wisdomandwonder.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> Lately I've been curious whether or not my actual Emacs keymapping
> usage actually reflects how I think
> I use it. What I mean is that I have a goal of mapping frequently used
> operations to easily-accessible keybindings on the keyboard. What I
> plan to do is to record my usage so that I can study it to find
> mapping
> decisions that I got right, and wrong, and also identify things that I
> use that I should be mapping closer to home.
>
> The simplest approach would be to use a keylogger, or advice inside of Emacs.
>
> What I am curious about is your approach if you had done, or would do,
> something like this, and your thoughts an ideas.

Xah Lee did quite a bit of work on this.
I suggest you find his site, and read up on what he's done.
For a while he was providing some lisp and asking people to forward
him their data.  I think his code is still around.

--
Dan Espen

* Re: Personal approach for collecting Emacs usage statistics advice?
@ 2014-07-02 20:11   ` Alan Schmitt
       [not found]   ` <mailman.4756.1404331931.1147.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Alan Schmitt @ 2014-07-02 20:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan.Espen; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On 2014-07-02 20:39, despen@verizon.net (Dan.Espen) writes:

> Grant Rettke <gcr@wisdomandwonder.com> writes:
>
>> What I am curious about is your approach if you had done, or would do,
>> something like this, and your thoughts an ideas.
>
> Xah Lee did quite a bit of work on this.
> I suggest you find his site, and read up on what he's done.
> For a while he was providing some lisp and asking people to forward
> him their data.  I think his code is still around.

I found this page about this:
http://xahlee.info/kbd/list_of_keylogging_software.html

(the page http://ergoemacs.org/emacs/command-frequency.html talks about
the experiment itself)

Grant: I'd be curious to know how this turns out (in particular which
keylogger you decided to use).

Best,

Alan

--
OpenPGP Key ID : 040D0A3B4ED2E5C7

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 494 bytes --]

@ 2014-07-02 20:17     ` Dan.Espen
From: Dan.Espen @ 2014-07-02 20:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Alan Schmitt <alan.schmitt@polytechnique.org> writes:

> Hi,
>
> On 2014-07-02 20:39, despen@verizon.net (Dan.Espen) writes:
>
>> Grant Rettke <gcr@wisdomandwonder.com> writes:
>>
>>> What I am curious about is your approach if you had done, or would do,
>>> something like this, and your thoughts an ideas.
>>
>> Xah Lee did quite a bit of work on this.
>> I suggest you find his site, and read up on what he's done.
>> For a while he was providing some lisp and asking people to forward
>> him their data.  I think his code is still around.
>
> I found this page about this:
> http://xahlee.info/kbd/list_of_keylogging_software.html
>
> (the page http://ergoemacs.org/emacs/command-frequency.html talks about
> the experiment itself)
>
> Grant: I'd be curious to know how this turns out (in particular which
> keylogger you decided to use).

Just to be clear, I never used the software, Xah did, and I don't
know how many others.  I just recalled the effort when I saw your
question.

--
Dan Espen

* Re: Personal approach for collecting Emacs usage statistics advice?
@ 2014-07-05  2:38       ` Grant Rettke
From: Grant Rettke @ 2014-07-05  2:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan.Espen; +Cc: Emacs Help

Understood. Will do. Thanks.