all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Regarding replacing regexp
@ 2012-05-10  9:37 shirish
From: shirish @ 2012-05-10  9:37 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I am in the process of learning how to use emacs. I know about the
replace-regexp but I am unable to create a regular expression to do the
below.
Any help is much appreciated.

public static final String SUCCESS //Successmesg
public static final String FAILURE  //failuremessage

I need to replace that with

public static final String SUCCESS = "SUCCESS";//Successmesg
public static final String FAILURE  = "FAILURE"; //failuremessage

Thanks,
Shirish.

* Re: Regarding replacing regexp
@ 2012-05-10 16:26 ` Deniz Dogan
From: Deniz Dogan @ 2012-05-10 16:26 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: shirish; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On 2012-05-10 11:37, shirish wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am in the process of learning how to use emacs. I know about the
> replace-regexp but I am unable to create a regular expression to do the
> below.
> Any help is much appreciated.
>
> public static final String SUCCESS //Successmesg
> public static final String FAILURE  //failuremessage
>
> I need to replace that with
>
> public static final String SUCCESS = "SUCCESS";//Successmesg
> public static final String FAILURE  = "FAILURE"; //failuremessage
>
> Thanks,
> Shirish.

There are a lot of ways to do it.  One could be:

String \([^ ]+\)

and replace it with:

String \1 = "\1"

I would personally use keyboard macros for it.

I hope that helps,
Deniz

* Re: Regarding replacing regexp
@ 2012-05-11  2:57   ` XeCycle
       [not found]   ` <mailman.942.1336705240.855.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: XeCycle @ 2012-05-11  2:57 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Deniz Dogan <deniz@dogan.se> writes:

> On 2012-05-10 11:37, shirish wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am in the process of learning how to use emacs. I know about the
>> replace-regexp but I am unable to create a regular expression to do the
>> below.
>> Any help is much appreciated.
>>
>> public static final String SUCCESS //Successmesg
>> public static final String FAILURE  //failuremessage
>>
>> I need to replace that with
>>
>> public static final String SUCCESS = "SUCCESS";//Successmesg
>> public static final String FAILURE  = "FAILURE"; //failuremessage
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Shirish.
>>

> There are a lot of ways to do it.  One could be:
>
> String \([^ ]+\)
>
> and replace it with:
>
> String \1 = "\1"

This won't do very well.

Try:

SUCCESS\|FAILURE => \& = "\&";

I may be wrong about those escapes, try it.

> I would personally use keyboard macros for it.

Yes, This would be fine, too.  And usually easier than regexps.

--
Carl Lei (XeCycle)
Department of Physics, Shanghai Jiao Tong University

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 489 bytes --]

@ 2012-05-11  3:10     ` Barry Margolin
From: Barry Margolin @ 2012-05-11  3:10 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

In article <mailman.942.1336705240.855.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>,
 XeCycle <XeCycle@Gmail.com> wrote:

> Deniz Dogan <deniz@dogan.se> writes:
>
> > On 2012-05-10 11:37, shirish wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I am in the process of learning how to use emacs. I know about the
> >> replace-regexp but I am unable to create a regular expression to do the
> >> below.
> >> Any help is much appreciated.
> >>
> >> public static final String SUCCESS //Successmesg
> >> public static final String FAILURE  //failuremessage
> >>
> >> I need to replace that with
> >>
> >> public static final String SUCCESS = "SUCCESS";//Successmesg
> >> public static final String FAILURE  = "FAILURE"; //failuremessage
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >> Shirish.
> >>

> > There are a lot of ways to do it.  One could be:
> >
> > String \([^ ]+\)
> >
> > and replace it with:
> >
> > String \1 = "\1"
>
> This won't do very well.

Except that he forgot the semicolon, what's wrong about it?

> Try:
>
> SUCCESS\|FAILURE => \& = "\&";
>
> I may be wrong about those escapes, try it.

You're assuming those are the only names he has to replace.  The first
responder assumed that they were just examples of a common pattern.

Plus, your version will replace them in other contexts, e.g. the program
is likely to contain something like:

if (...) return SUCCESS;

but you wouldn't want to change this with the replacement.

--
Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA

* Re: Regarding replacing regexp
@ 2012-05-11  3:52       ` XeCycle
From: XeCycle @ 2012-05-11  3:52 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Barry Margolin <barmar@alum.mit.edu> writes:

[...]

>> > There are a lot of ways to do it.  One could be:
>> >
>> > String \([^ ]+\)
>> >
>> > and replace it with:
>> >
>> > String \1 = "\1"
>>
>> This won't do very well.
>
> Except that he forgot the semicolon, what's wrong about it?

May match something more, of course; mine has the same problem.

>> Try:
>>
>> SUCCESS\|FAILURE => \& = "\&";
>>
>> I may be wrong about those escapes, try it.
>
> You're assuming those are the only names he has to replace.  The first
> responder assumed that they were just examples of a common pattern.

Huh?  Don't know what the OP want, though.

> Plus, your version will replace them in other contexts, e.g. the program
> is likely to contain something like:
>
> if (...) return SUCCESS;
>
> but you wouldn't want to change this with the replacement.

That's a common problem about such replacements.  Similarly one
may want to define a String object somewhere else, Deniz's
solution will fail, too.  Query replace to the rescue.  It's up
to the OP to decide which one will be better, or combine them to
remove more mismatches:

String \(SUCCESS\|FAILURE\)

Of course, those tools are rarely accurate in such things like
code refactoring.

--

@ 2012-05-11  8:39 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2012-05-11  8:39 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: shirish; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 10.05.2012 um 11:37 schrieb shirish:

> public static final String SUCCESS //Successmesg
> public static final String FAILURE  //failuremessage
>
> I need to replace that with
>
> public static final String SUCCESS = "SUCCESS";//Successmesg
> public static final String FAILURE  = "FAILURE"; //failuremessage

You could try:

	\(final \w+ \)\([A-Z]+\) -> \1\2 = "\2";

The text "final <some word> " followed by a sequence of upper-case letters (\([A-Z]+\)) is found and saved in registers and substituted with the first finding followed by '=' and the found sequence of upper-case letters in double quotation marks followed by ';'. The remainder of the original line stays unchanged.

--
Greetings

  Pete

One cannot live by television, video games, top ten CDs, and dumb movies alone.
				– Amiri Baraka, 1999

@ 2012-05-12 10:39   ` shirish
From: shirish @ 2012-05-12 10:39 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Deniz Dogan; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs