all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* open file from command line as new buffer?
@ 2011-08-08 17:04 Renato
From: Renato @ 2011-08-08 17:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello, simple question: I have the emacs gui started. How can I open a
new file, from command line, such that it will open as
a new buffer in the existing emacs process instead of starting a new
emacs process?

cheers
renato

* Re: open file from command line as new buffer?
@ 2011-08-09  0:01 ` Makoto MOTOHASHI
From: Makoto MOTOHASHI @ 2011-08-09  0:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Try to run emacs as daemon or server, and use emacsclient.

@ 2011-08-09  2:43 ` Vijay Lakshminarayanan
From: Vijay Lakshminarayanan @ 2011-08-09  2:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Renato; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Renato <rennabh@gmail.com> writes:

> Hello, simple question: I have the emacs gui started. How can I open a
> new file, from command line, such that it will open as
> a new buffer in the existing emacs process instead of starting a new
> emacs process?

In your emacs, start the emacs server with M-x server-start

From the command line, emacsclient <filename> should open the file in an
emacs buffer.

--
Cheers
~vijay

Gnus should be more complicated.

* Re: open file from command line as new buffer?
@ 2011-08-09  2:49 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2011-08-09  2:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Date: Mon, 8 Aug 2011 19:04:07 +0200
> From: Renato <rennabh@gmail.com>
>
> Hello, simple question: I have the emacs gui started. How can I open a
> new file, from command line, such that it will open as
> a new buffer in the existing emacs process instead of starting a new
> emacs process?

Use emacsclient, a program that comes with Emacs.  It is described in
the Emacs user manual.

* Re: open file from command line as new buffer?
@ 2011-08-09  8:03   ` Renato
From: Renato @ 2011-08-09  8:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vijay Lakshminarayanan; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Tue, 09 Aug 2011 08:13:07 +0530
Vijay Lakshminarayanan <laksvij@gmail.com> wrote:

> Renato <rennabh@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > Hello, simple question: I have the emacs gui started. How can I
> > open a new file, from command line, such that it will open as
> > a new buffer in the existing emacs process instead of starting a new
> > emacs process?
>
> In your emacs, start the emacs server with M-x server-start
>
> From the command line, emacsclient <filename> should open the file in
> an emacs buffer.

thank you very much

renato