all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Remote editing using emacsclient.
@ 2012-02-06 13:18 Dmitriy Igrishin
From: Dmitriy Igrishin @ 2012-02-06 13:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hey all,

I have a problem with remote editing via emacsclient.
The Emacs 23.3.1 runs in server mode on the remote machine
(Debian) and the emacsclient is also runs on Debian and
on Mac OS X.

Trying:
$ emacsclient -nw -f ./server my_file
emacsclient: connected to remote socket at 192.168.0.50
*ERROR*: Could not open file: /dev/pts/0

The same problem when trying to run emacsclient on Mac.

Is it possible to make it works?

--
// Dmitriy.

* Re: Remote editing using emacsclient.
       [not found] <mailman.3293.1328534299.15002.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2012-02-06 16:44 ` jpkotta
From: jpkotta @ 2012-02-06 16:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu.emacs.help; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

I wanted to do this as well, and I could never get it working.  As far as I could tell, it connected to the emacsserver without issue, but then wanted to create the emacsclient on the server machine.  IIRC, if I played with the DISPLAY variable, it would create an emacsclient window on the server machine, which seemed profoundly useless.  So the best thing is probably to run emacsclient through ssh -- that's what I do anyway.  There was a discussion on reddit.com/r/emacs about this several months ago, but I can't find it.