On Fri, Nov 22, 2019 at 10:45 PM Stefan Monnier wrote: > And if it's just t it could always return a pair. > Sounds good. Please take a look. The patches do not include info changes, because help-split-fundoc is not documented. Should this change, once accepted, be mentioned in NEWS? BTW, other than the discussed new feature, I've added the following tiny, sort of incompatible change: Before: - DEF = non-symbol => usage = "(anonymous ARGS...)" - DEF = symbol s => usage = "(s ARGS...)" Now: - DEF = non-symbol OR nil => "(anonymous ARGS...)" - DEF = other symbol s => "(s ARGS...)" When callers are not interested in the usage they can already pass a non-symbol, like "" or 0, but perusing the sources, 3 out of 14 uses of help-split-fundoc pass nil, and none of them passes a non-symbol. Treating nil like "don't care" saves two function calls over the current code (which passes nil through help--docstring-quote), and DEF is documented as "the function whose usage we're looking for", so nil = "don't care" makes more sense than "" or 0. I can revert this part of the patch (is a one-liner), if you're worried about the incompatibility.